1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

They'll have different memories. I'm not dismissing their experience, only saying it's not yours or mine and they will find their own value in what has happened.

I can't think of any titles off the top of my head, but oral histories of children and Land Girls in England who lived through WWII show there were still good things to look back on when times were dark.

John Boorman's Hope and Glory touches on this:

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Early voting in my county started today. They have it set up four locations at town halls. My wife drove by one and the line was around the building. We're going to go during the week and assume we've got a long wait coming.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

LOVE that movie, especially the ending when the boy goes to school ... and you know.

I’m just saying that, as adults, we have a lot more perspective. But when you’re a kid, or a teen, it can be devastating. Like in the movie. At one point, he’s devastated because his toy soldiers were burned in a fire. As adults, we know they’re just toys. To the boy, it’s a part of his life being ruined.

OscarMadison, heyabbott and maumann like this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I agree, Maumann - I think they'll be fuller. Time management is going to be modified to allow for health of body, mind and spirit.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Our world was heading for technological isolation even before COVID. Think of cubicles and Gameboys and social media dividing us.

I think we'll realize how much we miss face to face communication and cooperation. Society will be way better if we tear down the walls and end the divisions. Those misfits who are emboldened by the current administration are in for a serious reset.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Likewise. Having hit the big 6-0 this past summer, ya starts thinking about what kind of world we'll be leaving the next couple of generations. Still hope it'll be better than the one we were handed, but they are seizing the initative early to build that world. Conventional wisdom always says the kids are only interested in prom, Friday night football and where the cool parties are, but they're smarter than that. We've got one proposition on the ballot out here allowing 17-year-olds the vote in a primary if they'll be 18 in the general election, and one of the arguments was "they're just going to vote how their parents tell them." Really!

7. 3_Octave_Fart

I miss talking to the neighboring colleague who was welding a Boba Fett helmet he 3D-printed.

I've been social distancing for the better part of a decade but I've realized in this that I actually like people.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

HA! My wife accuses me of secretly enjoying the hell out of being a hermit! She's right. I'm a classic introvert who chose a career that forced me out of my shyness because that was more of a challenge than sitting in a 9-to-5 job, solving math equations or programming a computer.

Who knew?

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Today was supposed to be my daughter’s wedding day. Thanks to republicans selfishness, ignorance, hatred and scorn for intelligence it was postponed for a year. Fuck you demented Donnie. Moscow Mitch. Creepy Collins and every republican in national and local politics.

TowelWaver, Dyno, wicked and 7 others like this.
  10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Lisa Murkowski has all the integrity of watered down jello.

So headlines today that Trump voted in Florida. I am damn sure there have already been stories about him mailing in his ballot. Serious question, did Donald Trump vote twice?

11. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

The emptiest, the most sociopathic and in possession of the worst sense of taste and style anyone has ever possessed.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

Worst taste in art, also.

It would be nice for this creature to tell us his favorite song or movie before he staggers off the stage. You know, show anyone you're the least bit relatable.

gingerbread and OscarMadison like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.