1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just got an East Troublesome update: Red flag warning is up. Worried about big winds. Great progress on the eastern flank. Strong containment line above Granby. Most active fire spread on the north. No imminent risk to towns and structures.

Two people confirmed killed. The elderly couple who took shelter in their concrete bunker.

maumann likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, the eastern extension of that fire — Forest Service calls it the Thompson Zone — is really active right now, according to data from the VIIRS array on NOAA-20 and the Suomi bird.

Regional scan, VIIRS:
    Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 9.56.36 AM.png

Red asterisks are hotspots. Y’all have already figured out where the Thompson Zone is.

Now I’m going to zoom in on the Thompson Zone and turn on the GOES-17 data that is a bit iffier, with less spatial accuracy. Remember that one pixel of error can mean a hotspot is a mile away from where it’s shown. Red is less than 10 minutes old, orange is 10-60 minutes old, yellow is over an hour old. This could be and probably is just the way the wind is pushing smoke and embers right now rather than actual fires on the ground, but even that is a bad sign, because the embers spark the fire.
    Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 10.08.10 AM.png

Steady winds of over 20 mph are expected for most of the day, with the weather not changing over to rain and then snow until 10 p.m. MT.

Hold tight.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

Scanner call, Estes Park: Turn off the gas to the YMCA (I believe it’s SW of town) and all houses west of the YMCA.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I can't imagine how demoralizing it is to live there, have had to evacuate, and then see the fire coming closer and closer to your home watching these.

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Ugh, the YMCA camp is awesome. Smoke is bad in northern Colorado again. Fires are very active. Going to be a tough day until the snow moves in.

MileHigh likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

It’s coming.

And they may have stopped the eastern spread where they hoped to, at Bear Lake Road inside the park.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. MileHigh

It's incredible to live there, but, yeah, you have NO control over this.

I've said on here and elsewhere: I never complain about rain and snow here. I'll deal with floods over massive wildfires any day.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

You evacuate your home, only to face a 17-inch snowfall on your return. So 2020.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'll more than love to have to shovel 17 inches of snow if I still have a home. Praying for Colorado.

maumann and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

This is the roof camera atop the Baldpate Inn outside of Estes Park and next to the entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park … and at the time I’m writing this, I see flurries.

maumann likes this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

12. MileHigh

Never, ever, ever complain about rain/snow here in the Rockies.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted