1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The increases in COVID rates across the nation are shocking. For example, Wisconsin's positive test rate is 22..7%.

We're going to see some pretty brutal stats in November...but let's be sure to keep playing football, rolling back mask orders and opening schools. Ain't America grand?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nate Silver was wondering on Twitter why Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire have had such low covid-19 rates even now with the latest surge. The answer, which he actually could have looked up, is that all three states crushed their own massive summer tourism industry by effectively closing themselves off to out of state visitors unwilling to immediately quarantine for two weeks. They paid the price a lot of states wouldn't and they are reaping the reward -- less illness and death. All three states skew very old demographically, BTW.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, last night when Donnie Dumbass said transmittal rate to teachers was is small, I wanted to punch the tv seeing as how I'd just tested positive a couple of hours before.
    FYI: If you do test positive, don't expect much guidance.
    I was told "yeah, you're positive" and asked if I need a piece of paper for work. Uhhhh, yeah.
    I started asking questions, and about the only thing I got was "take Tylenol for the fever, and stay hydrated."
    Really, I've got what's killed 220,000+, and that's all the information and guidance I get? I understand there isn't a prescription or shot to make it go away, but come on.
    My fever broke last night, haven't had one all day, and have generally felt pretty good. Does that mean I'm out of the woods or will I be laying in the floor gasping for air in 3-4 days? Nobody really seems to know.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

'"If it starts to get bad, get airlifted to Walter Reed, and get access to the best doctors and medicine."

HanSenSE and SFIND like this.
  5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Things are starting to get out of control again, even by US standards, which already weren't particularly under control. I've been figuring Thanksgiving would mark the point where it started to take its worst turn, but we're going to be getting there with a baseline as high as it's ever been. Even using projected actual infections and not just raw cases, we're on a trajectory to match February/March pretty quickly and surpass it.

The web site I liked that estimated true prevalence (covid19-projections.com) stopped operations on Oct. 5 with an estimated prevalence in the US of 16.5%. We should be close to about 19% now, and adding almost 0.2% per day.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Did he have it? Really?
    (trump)

8. RickStain

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m sorry. Hang in there.

Driftwood and OscarMadison like this.
  10. RickStain

i don’t wanna scare you, but no. You are very, very likely to be out of the woods. But the small percentage of cases that do turn bad often do so suddenly after an apparent recovery. Keep a close eye on yourself and get medical care if you have any reason at all to think you might need it.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And leading the way at ≥ 29% this month is the state with the Positive Pants, South Dakota.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember when the NYT called a calculable number “incalculable.”

This morning, the NYT said on its Web site the growth in cases was “inexorable.” If that’s the case, what are we wearing masks for?

Draft saved Draft deleted