1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7: Generic QB number, generic thread title, generic team name

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 21, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

At this point will he get better? Is he still developing? Worse QBs have won SBs. maybe he goes to another team and has a Tannehi;l like resurgence - but I'm not sure he's better than any other QB outside his division in the NFC.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think the bigger issues in Philly are injuries and play calling, in that order. This seems like at least two years in a row that Philly has had major issues with injuries, and Wentz basically has to play Superman for them to win games. He's had 40+ attempts in five out of their seven games because they've constantly been playing from behind, which is also probably why he has a league leading 10 INTs and why he's been sacked 28 times.

I doubt Wentz is going to be an MVP candidate going forward, which is what he looked like in that Super Bowl season. But I still think he's plenty good enough to get a team to a Super Bowl and to win one.

(FWIW, his comparables on Pro Football Reference are all over the place, so I do think his chance of "collapse" is worth monitoring. That list of comparable players through season 3: Ryan Tannehill, Marcus Mariota, Jim Kelly*, Joe Ferguson, Blake Bortles, Marc Bulger, Andy Dalton, Jameis Winston, Fran Tarkenton*, Joe Namath; through season 4: Jameis Winston, Fran Tarkenton*, Ryan Tannehill, Marcus Mariota, Andy Dalton, Jim Kelly*, Jim Plunkett, Ben Roethlisberger, Ken O'Brien, Blake Bortles.)

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Did you leave off Joe Namath's Hall of Fame asterisk on purpose? ;)

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Ha! It wasn't an intentional thing, to be clear - probably didn't copy-paste it correctly.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Fitz is just good enough to stunt the development of your young quarterback. Good on Flores for cutting that shit off when he did. And Fitz can save that "heartbroken" shit. Help the young kid out so he can succeed.

poindexter and JC like this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh for God's sake. Guy loses a starting job when he's playing well and you're mad he's unhappy about it? What a bunch of bullshit. Of course Fitzpatrick knew he was a placeholder. He's entitled to be surprised it was now the change happened. Most people were.

Batman likes this.
  8. HappyCurmudgeon

Fuck that. He knew he was placeholder. Whining about sitting in a room with a guy who fired him and next to his replacement so he can be some sympathetic media figure. That was the biggest phony shit...

9. HappyCurmudgeon

And I could care less if he's unhappy about it. Be unhappy all you want, but don't whining to the media looking for sympathy. Be a fucking teammate and support the kid.

JC likes this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Really, the only time I can remember a starter helping his replacement is Alex Smith with Mahomes.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Only other one I can think of is Trent Green with Kurt Warner. He was the only player he thanked in his HOF speech, too.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sanders (positive COVID test) and Michael Thomas (hamstring, ankle) out vs. Panthers on Sunday.

Draft saved Draft deleted