1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I’m no math nerd, but I’m pretty sure what you’re going for is 90 degrees.

bigpern23, sgreenwell and Hermes like this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Nobody ever accused me of being smart, Swingline.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Ah, that's horrible.

I've gotten into the macabre habit of buying t-shirts and other stuff from places I like and might close. The local indie cinema. A cool independent cafe. Now it looks like it's time to pony up for a sweatshirt.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, on Thursday some numbers are going to come out showing 7% growth from second quarter (30% annualized), numbers never seen before (previous best is 3.9%/16.7% in 1950).

Of course we all kinda know why that is.

But that's not the kind of headlines Democrats really need five days before an election.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Numbers never seen before!!"

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Would have needed to be 47% just to break even from COVID. Also double digit unemployment. But you’re a moron and a liar, so your post wasn’t unexpected.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"We scored 10 runs in the top of the ninth inning! We've never done that before!"

"Yeah, but you still lost 14-10."

Inky_Wretch, Della9250 and sgreenwell like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's great compared to the alternative of things having stayed where they were three months ago. It's also fairly meaningless. Even if they could measure GDP in a meaningful way, which they can't, the operative thing with the type of devastation we have seen isn't the 3 month numbers. What matters is where we are relative to before the pandemic. And we have lost more than 3.5 percent of our economy if you compare where we are today to where we were at the end of last year.

Look at it this way. If I have $1,000 and I lose half of it, but then make a 50 percent return on what I have left, I am sitting there with $750. ... when I started with $1,000.

On top of it, much of what we are talking about isn't normal economic activity. They took a $3.5 trillion dollar decline in economic activity (or something like that) and threw more than $5.5 trillion of fiscal and monetary "stimulus" at people to keep them spending. If I max out a credit card and buy a lot of stuff with it, it doesn't mean I am financially healthy. And that doesn't take into account that that "stimulus" is the least efficient way to allocate resources. It doesn't necessarily go toward the productive things that a market sorts out way better than a helicopter drop of money.

But yeah, we have never seen economic swings like this.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

And now that stimulus money is gone, and it’ll likely be at least three months until another package passes if Biden wins. How’s that going to go for small businesses in Q4?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One other thing. Those GDP numbers, even if they were accurate measurements, are backward looking. And Covid cases are spiking again right now, unfortunately. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted