1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You know those prescription drug commercials where they list side effects?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Surely a patient would be smart enough to update their med list when they go to their doctor?

Spoiler: Some do, some don't.

HC likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The funny part of that is you're not going to get to call your doctor at 2 a.m. You'll amuse the hell out of the answering service, though.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

At my age, I’d call my doctor, call my friends and post it on Twitter and Facebook to brag if that happened

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

"In the rare case a boner lasts more than 24 hours, call a friend and brag about it."

Dr. Porkenheimer

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

That hypothetical person is more likely going to be calling his coke dealer than his doctor at 2:00 AM.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And you should be giving them a comprehensive update when they ask.
    Which is what the language in the commercial is advising.

amraeder likes this.
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also we shouldn’t be joking on this thread
    People with diabetes are often overly sensitive about stereotypes and slights

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Do you think the actors in these drug ads know they're going to be in a drug ad?

Hey, Mike - thanks for doing this - you're great. Yeah - we just need to show you throwing a football through the tire swing, can you do that a couple of times. Great! We're shooting an ad for a - um "lifestyle" product and want to show a happy and fit middle aged guy - yeah, that's it.

Roger and Pam - Okay we're shooting you two in bathtubs because, well, it's kind of an artsy thing we're trying to do for a client who is all about relationships and such - ya' dig?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When my wife had a kidney stone a few years ago, one of the drugs they gave her was Flomax.

Its warning: Dizziness, lightheadedness, drowsiness, runny/stuffy nose, or ejaculation problems may occur.

"What's ejaculation?" she asked. "Is that anything like vomiting?"

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Mine come with stickers warning about "if you may be pregnant or breastfeeding." If I'm doing that, I'm calling CNN before my doctor.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My favorite part of the 20 seconds of disclaimers in the pharma TV commercials is always, "If you are allergic to Sulfurestat, don't take Sulfarestat."

Mngwa, sgreenwell and maumann like this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

How are you going to know if you're allergic without trying it? Trial and error.

Draft saved Draft deleted