1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The first Carrey as Biden was good but it's morphed into Jim Carrey doing an impression of Joe Biden doing an impression of Jim Carrey.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I fast forward thru the cold opening unless I see Maya Rudolph doing Kamala.

I think with general Trump fatigue I just don’t want to see anything fat fuck related and he is well beyond parody at this point. Carrey’s Biden impression just isn’t landing for me either.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I feel this. I'm a big Carl Hiaasen fan. His early books are some of my favorites by anyone, ever. He's got a new book that's getting very good reviews.

I went to buy it at Amazon and saw that Trump plays a part in the plot. No fucking way. I'm not doing that.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Rudolph is incredible as Harris. She has it down perfect. Carrey as Biden is just bad. Like, he's basically just doing Meme Biden the entire time, but he sounds like The Mask. It's hard to believe that nobody else in the cast could do better - The guy doing Trump Jr. is excellent, for example.

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I gotta believe that if he wasn't seeing success with that show where he's coaching a soccer team in the UK, that they would've tried to get Jason Sudeikis back.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Eh, I doubt he even got a call once Carrey said yes, because a platform like SNL would have been great to promote Ted Lasso. And even last year, they were using Woody Harrelson. I agree that Sudeikis is better than both.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Sudekis captured the inner fun/dgaf attitude that Biden seems to have. As said Carey just seems like an over the top meme.

OscarMadison and Webster like this.
  8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

For some reason, it seems like every single segment, except weekend update, is running too long.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm really not liking this reliance on celebrities for the big political roles. It was fun at first to see who'd pop up as this random politico. But enough is enough. Let the cast do the work.

OscarMadison, garrow, Webster and 2 others like this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Burr ep had some good stuff - the Sam Adams ad and the mafia bit - also liked the the Canadian morning show sketch, only because it was obviously written by a writer who took a weekender to Montreal and watched TV in his hotel room and that's what he came up with - THAT is what I find hilarious. Not so much the sketch, but I love Canada.
    Beck Bennett is very underrated. He delivers repeatedly. Keenan's lost some lbs for his sitcom (which I still think would be funnier if he was The Stepdad, instead of The Widower) but where the hell is Cecily Strong? And I think they're having a hard time shoehorning Kate McKinnon into the show now that RBG is dead and Hillary is an afterthought. Perhaps she should come up with an original character that delivers - her "doctor" bit during WU was pathetic.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Damn! Adele’s lookin’ fiiiiiiiiine!

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I guess Maya Rudolph is bored. Took the debate moderator role in the cold open and now playing grandma in the post WU sketch.

And now she’s in a spoof ad with Adele for Ass Angel Perfumed Jeans.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted