1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-2021 NFL Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 5, 2020.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

SOLD

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I covered his last game for Cal -- the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth -- and he looked like an absolute stud. I know I left there thinking I had just seen the No. 1 overall pick and a potential NFL star.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Probably why I forgot. When searching for the bowl game where you might see the top overall pick, The Armed Forces Bowl usually isn't the one. But he did have some monster numbers as a junior.

Even in a re-draft for 2016 Goff would be the first QB off the board. Might not be the number one overall player, but definitely the first QB. The QBs taken in the first three rounds -- Goff, Wentz, Paxton Lynch, Christian Hackenberg, Jacoby Brissett and Cody Kessler.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

You want Goff over Wentz? I know that Wentz is kind of seen as "disappointing" by some, but that's probably because he's gone from MVP candidate to "just" average to above average QB, depending on your perspective. Wentz has played 62 games to Goff's 60, and has eight more TDs, two less INTs and also 700 more yards rushing. Comparison link here.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

It's close and right now this minute I would take Goff....Wentz had the great almost MVP season in 2017 and puts up decent numbers...but they are not leading to wins and he's been injured at the worst possible times. Plus I think there's something to the reports about his teammates not being particularly crazy about him.

Goff is far from perfect. I don't know if the kid can take a shit without Sean McVay whispering through his helmet. But he's playing better football right now and with them both being 4+ years in Goff looks like he's still improving in some areas whereas Wentz might have hit a plateau.

Again it's not like there's a lot separating them.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Lock made two GREAT throws in that game that were the difference...and two horrible throws that should've lost it. Denver held on because the Patriots' offensive line had three rookies thanks to injuries and COVID and was dreadful - a great example of where practice disruptions and lack of preseason caught up. I'm sure there's other examples of that throughout the league.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

So is Urban Meyer gonna coach the Jags or not?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The longer this drags on, the less likely it is to happen.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Posted this elsewhere - but with so many teams already picking over the best of the fired coaching staffs - there isn't going to be a lot of quality left for the new hires.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No one else has hired anyone to this point. Everything is dragging out.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Everything about the NFL circa 2021 shows it’s primarily an offense-focused league; can someone explain to me why a franchise in need of a HC would even consider hiring a DC for the gig? The rules favor the offense, as do ticket buyers and TV viewers.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Schefter reported this morning they are in negotiations to close the deal

Draft saved Draft deleted