1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'll cop to having never heard this theory. I'm not aware of any studies to that effect one way or the other.

2. RickStain

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why is COVID-19 more severely affecting people of color?

According to recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), non-Hispanic American Indian or Alaska Native people had an age-adjusted COVID-19 hospitalization rate about 5.3 times that of non-Hispanic white people. COVID-19 hospitalization rates among non-Hispanic Black people and Hispanic or Latino people were both about 4.7 times the rate of non-Hispanic white people.

While there's no evidence that people of color have genetic or other biological factors that make them more likely to be affected by COVID-19, they are more likely to have underlying health conditions. Having certain conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, increases your risk of severe illness with COVID-19. But experts also know that where people live and work affects their health. Over time, these factors lead to different health risks among racial and ethnic minority groups.

SFIND likes this.
  4. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

We have figured out that you are the master of the false equivalency, yes. Because of masks, Vietnam also had no cold or flu season this year. Why do you suppose that was, because only fat people get the flu and colds?

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Immune system is everything. Obesity weakens the immune system. It's not just one thing (surviving vs. dying). It's a domino.

Better immune system = even if you contract a viral load, your immune system can kick its ass before you even know you have it.
    Better immune system = even if the virus catches a foothold, you can fight it off with mild symptoms.
    Better immune system = even if you are hospitalized, your chances of a surviving outcome are better.

India's death rate is 84 per million (US is 682). They have a lot of cases because 1.35 billion people means they have a lot of everything. But among those who contract the virus, they are dying at a rate EIGHT TIMES lower than the US.

Let's recap:
    India 4x the population of the US, 10x the population density, yet . . .
    fewer cases overall, 10x fewer deaths, death rate 8x smaller.

Give the US India's death rate, and we'd be at 27,375 deaths. Sound pretty good?

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. RickStain

you literally just told me it wasn’t about deaths but cases

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I sure didn't intend to do that.

10. micropolitan guy

11. micropolitan guy

12. RickStain

That’s supposed to be an own, but libertarians genuinely want a world in which a restaurant is allowed to do those things, under the assumption that people would just choose not to eat there

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted