1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atlantic Cares About Rich White People

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by justgladtobehere, Oct 20, 2020.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's THE Ohio State.

JM22720, Webster and justgladtobehere like this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm still in hypnosis over the cover photo. So it's 1,000 images taken over a single lacrosse game?

Severian likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I work in Greenwich, CT and used to cover sports in Fairfield County and these are some of the worst, most-misguided adults you will ever encounter. This quote says it all. I mean, look at this asshole: "Or, as the Darien parent told me, they’re using athletics to escape “the penalty that comes from being from an advantaged zip code.” She continued: “Being who you are is not enough. It might be enough in Kansas. But not here.”

5. justgladtobehere

My concern about the article was more about its existence in The Atlantic. Why is a whiney piece about college admissions for rich white children something to publish? A lefty academic type or PJ O'Rourke would have done a better criticism of what is going on.

6. CD Boogie

How much ink was spilled over Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman? People love to read about rich people not getting their way.

wicked likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I managed to finish it, and I wondered a couple of things:
    1) Did it have to be that bloody long?
    2) What is the parents' real motivation? It's not the financial savings that a scholarship would bring. I think the real motivation is the ego gratification they get from being able to say their kid goes to Yale. But I'd like the story to explain that. The piece is so long and it delves into so many areas that it's hard to figure out its most important points.

Dog8Cats, maumann and wicked like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Some of these are parents who are around my age, many of whom grew up pretty middle class and have made a lot of money as adults. Many of them went to Ivy League schools. The difference was that when they were that age, getting into those schools was much easier. Not easy. You needed the grades, good SAT scores, etc., but if you had decent credentials, those schools were a realistic possibility, at least.

Getting in to sthose schools today is nearly impossible. Over the last 20 years, they have gotten more and more difficult to get into, to the point that Princeton rejects something like 3 out of every 5 class valedictorians, never mind the kids who finished third or fourth in their class who might have had at least a small chance in the past.

So that is where this all starts from. Those parents think the key to their kids lives is going to the same schools they went to, and this all started with them looking for ways to get their kids in as it has gotten nearly impossible.

That has created a culture in places where a lot of those people live -- such as the areas around Stamford, Ct. -- where even parents who didn't go to those schools, but have the means, have gotten sucked into the mentality the story was trying to convey (and I agree, it wasn't done very well).

Eventually, it became even less about getting into the universities themselves than it being a twisted competition among the parents.

Liut, playthrough, Fdufta and 3 others like this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

She and her husband feel hoodwinked by the directors of her son’s club-lacrosse program, which happily stoked her fantasies while stockpiling her money: $10,000 a year for 11 years. “They were talking Notre Dame for him,” she said. “Our eyes were glistening … We went to 16 showcases last year. I can’t believe the money we spent to see our son rejected 16 times.”

Shit, this could just as easily be my wife's brother and his wife who have written plenty of hefty checks to their oldest son's travel baseball coaches in the belief he can play at Vanderbilt. The kid, a terrific student, but as this story points out, there are loads of them out there, isn't even the best player on his team let alone one good enough to play at Vandy and tuition there for international students is insanely high. But even though there has been no baseball at any level in Ontario (save for teams like his that schedule endless exhibitions to keep getting checks) he walks around all the time in a Vandy hat and his parents tell me they are keeping all options open.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Liut and maumann like this.
  10. CD Boogie

I went to Vandy and transferred in back in the 1990s, when the acceptance rate was like 30 percent or something for transfers. The freaking acceptance rate now is less than 10 percent. So while I could never get in there now, the value of my diploma has shot up remarkably in the last two decades. That's what these Yale graduates who want their kids to have the same experience as them should realize -- ya can't have it both ways. If the prestige of your alma mater goes up, the chances of your kid getting in goes down. Dems the brakes.

maumann likes this.
  11. justgladtobehere

College acceptance rates are another crazy story.

The parents in this article aren't looking for scholarships. These sports would at best offer a quarter scholarship. It's the coach's thumb on the scale that is the motivation.

Smallpotatoes and maumann like this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Notre Dame’s cost of attendance is something like $77K/year, before any financial aid. They might as well have saved their money and, if the kid was admitted, had him walk on to the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted