1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 27, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I didn't get to third base that often (insert double entendre here), but every time, the coach would remind me of the number of outs and what to do on a ground ball and fly ball. That and having limber shoulders are his only two jobs.

Why Snitker would choose "run on contact" with no outs and a no-force situation is absurd. I'm certain a million high school and college coaches threw their remotes on TV sets all over the country, especially when the runner at second compounded the mistake. And same with the Dodgers trying to score from third with less than two outs when the Braves had the infield in. Again, if the ball doesn't go through, there's no reason to "run on contact." A lot of good things can still happen with two outs and a runner just 90 feet from home.

Maybe it's the Three True Outcomes. Maybe it's the pressure of a must-win game. But these guys have played thousands of games before reaching the bigs. They ought to be better than that.

qtlaw likes this.
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hell coaching LL just a few years ago, once baserunner is there, go over scenarios, (1) if ball is hit to outfield, STAY ON BAG AND TAG UP no matter what. Also, going on contact or not. When ball is in the air, yell "GET ON THE BAG". As for turning runners on 2nd & 3rd no outs to 2 outs and runner on 1st? That's going to be right there with Lonnie Smith not scoring. Brutal and sad.

maumann likes this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As much as I dislike the Dodgers, have to give them big credit for the resilience they showed. Those grinding ABs, up and down the line up, Betts/Seager/Muncy/Smith/Bellinger/Hernandez, hell even Taylor in 9 hole, professional. Conversely, I love Acuna and his enthusiasm but did he even hit a ball hard all series? How about cutting down your swing just once? D'Arnaud was not a fearsome "Cleanup" hitter, easier on the eyes than even Mickey Hatcher!

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And not just that, but it turned into a double play because dumbass on second tried to steal third with the ball six feed away. If you're going to break for the bag in that situation, do it when the guy gets into the rundown not right as the guy is getting tagged out. They are not going to give up a run to get the guy on the back end. Or stay the fuck put. I let out a series of F bombs and immediately turned it back to football at that point and didn't switch it back. I knew then the Dodgers were going to win. Running themselves out of a chance to put a three or a four spot on the Dodgers took the Braves out of the game. With LA's fire power, it was just a matter of time before they belted one and took the lead.

I'm going to go find a trash can to kick across the quad...

maumann likes this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Major league teams run from third on contact by design. Angels fans know it was manager Mike Scioscia's practically favorite play

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

39 years ago today. Hi, SJ Expos fans!

ChrisLong and Huggy like this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Delete this post now!

maumann likes this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He hit the shit out of this.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder. Local high school star. Day game in the east. PM paper. Today's news today ... in print.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up Scioscia. I loved the team's hustling, hit-and-run style of play during the 2000s run of division titles, but that "contact play" really could drive me up the wall.

maumann likes this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Second favorite.
    First was the old “pull on my bottom lip while inserting Casey Kotchman to pinch hit a ground out to second” play.

maumann likes this.
  12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We all have our favorites. Mine was favoring Jeff Mathis over Mike Napoli.

I always assumed that Mathis was his illegitimate son.

Draft saved Draft deleted