1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 6 thread: Godspeed, Sneeze Achiu

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 14, 2020.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Earlier in the year, the nebulous The Media was getting shit because Wilson had never gotten an MVP vote. Which seems somewhat crazy, but Russillo of all people went through it year by year, and it's hard to say who he should have won over. (It's similar to Zach Lowe's annoyance every year about NBA all-star snubs - Okay, you can say that Sam Cassell should have made the team, but you need to pick who you want to remove, which most people don't do.)

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Might be fourth. I looked up their roster and they had 3 guys listed. Same with the depth chart. Roster didn't included the practice squad. Tom Brady, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Griffin.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Maybe being a pain in the ass on the sideline takes away the coach’s job of trying to figure out a way to help the prison break pass protection?

On the other sideline, JuJu isn’t getting shit for targets, but he’s not pouting.

I see the Browns as an organizational problem. You don’t suck for this long and the current QB is the cause.

4. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

There's no doubt about that. The one constant has been Haslam. Fans have clambered for him to sell the team. It's a sad state when the best owner you've had the last 50 years was Art Modell.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I believe scout is talking about his behavior on the sidelines. He made a show of throwing his helmet down. Then he took his cleats off before the game was over. He was walking around on the sideline like that and jawing with fans. I don't know that any of it is a big deal, but I get people thinking it looks bad.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Those are the same people who basically a week ago were declaring Tampa Bay to be in crisis because Brady forgot what down it was.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wilson’s numbers have been hampered by playing in an archaic unimaginative offence until this year. They have finally taken the reigns off of him and the results speak for themselves.

He has dragged some bad teams to the playoffs, for years he had a terrible line and poor receivers. Wilson is far more than his numbers.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

He dragged some teams, but Pete Carroll also basically said, if you give me a couple of touchdowns, I'll win the game with the defense. The Legion of Boom is why they got to those two Super Bowls. They also had Marshawn Lynch to take some of the load off not having quality guys to throw the ball to.

That said, I agree Wilson has been a very good quarterback and we're seeing it on full display now that Seattle doesn't a defense that is slap in you in the face elite.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I wasn’t talking about those teams, I’m talking about the last few years.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's a numbers league, though, and other QBs have put up better ones.
    I'm not saying Wilson sucks, or has ever sucked. What I was saying was that he's just not one of the first four or five names that immediately come to mind when you think of the top five quarterbacks of the 2010s. That's not a slight considering two of that top five hold every major passing record there is, another has won two MVP awards and the third has won two Super Bowls, and all four of them have been in that elite category for a full decade.
    Wilson would be on the high end of that second tier between 6 and 10. He might, in fact, be the most underrated QB in the NFL.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why the 2010’s? His rookie year was 2012, the others you mention were in their prime then, do the last 5 years or wait until he’s had the longevity the others have had.

Draft saved Draft deleted