1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sid Hartman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

yep

[knock wood]

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think Sid Hartman interviewed Ted Williams - when he was a rookie with the Minneapolis Millers. What an institution, read his stuff all the time in the Star-Tribune when I lived in North Nowhere for nine years decades ago. A life well-lived, for sure. He had a lot of "close, personal friends," as I recall.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Started literally a couple weeks after V-J Day, when Minneapolis was still a minor-league outpost, and became pretty much synonymous with the entire region.
    He certainly got crusty and craggy with the years, as we all do, but he earned it. And he did have some ethical and impartiality blemishes. Love him or hate him, you usually read his stuff, and that's what counts.

Kinda fitting that his apparent final story was basically a pretty standard pregame feature, not an overblown or maudlin farewell column. (Although I imagine once he reached 100, he might have put something together in advance on his own, to be used "whenever necessary." So maybe we'll see.)
    But a workaday pregame feature -- that's what sportswriters do. Certainly he could have begged off and fobbed it off on somebody else, but he churned it out. Another day at the keyboard.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. Starman

Certainly doesn't appear he was expecting anything adverse, but at 100, everything indeed is "day-to-day." The statement by his family indicates his passing wasn't traumatic.

I guess if I had my pick of a way to go, I'd like something like that: still functional to the end.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

Yes! Not the greatest story here, though. May be paywalled.
    Roger Angell at a Hundred

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

So amazing stories about him. Mike Max on WCCO telling a lot now and Reusse has a million classics (he mentioned he wrote Sid's advance obit...12 years ago. And of course he wrote Sid's autobiography, which was always amusing as Sid has to be one of few writers who had someone write his memoir).

But this one about him tracking down Prince at the Super Bowl is one of the best.

Kevin Seifert Espn

Machine Head and matt_garth like this.
  8. Starman

Angell certainly isn't cranking out pregame features (that's not really what he usually did anyway) but this story indicates he's still ambulatory (although on a walker) and reasonably conversant. I'd take that too.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I think I’ve posted about this. My father grew up in north Minneapolis, as did Sid, when everyone in the north side Jewish community knew each other. When I was a kid, my father would talk about running into Sid downtown and what opinions he offered Sid. He loved the time Sid mentioned him by name on the radio.

This makes me sad because it’s a little connection to my home, my childhood and my father that’s been lost.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I found this interesting

11. HanSenSE

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Howie's fucking kid comes along and steals all my glory, now this dude shows up. There's also a big-time TV producer. I might as well just go away (sad face).

Draft saved Draft deleted