1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I haven't looked up anything, but I think Phil Regan went 16-1 in relief one season. I have no idea when the loss occurred.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

This player set a MLB record for most consecutive wins by a reliever to start a career by going 12-0 from September of 1974 to August of 1976. Despite this impressive start, he was out of MLB by age 26. Who is he?

Butch Metzger. Played briefly for the Giants in 1974 (1-0) and the Padres in 1975 (1-0) as a September callup, then won his first 10 decisions and went 11-4, 2.92 and 16 saves in 1976 with San Diego and won the NL ROY Award.

Was traded to St. Louis in 1977, his last good year, pitched for the Mets in 1978 and then was out of baseball. He had control problems throughout his career that he could not master and that led to his release by the Phillies in 1979. Baseball is a cruel game.

maumann likes this.
  3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

OK, looked up Regan. Pitching for the Dodgers in 1966, he was 14-1 with 1.62 ERA and 21 saves in 65 games. Finished 48 games. Seventh in the MVP voting.

maumann likes this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I was a Honolulu-born infielder of Asian extract who once went my first 66 at-bats against the White Sox without a hit. Who the hell am I?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Derrick Henry had a 94-yard touchdown run against the Texans today, making him the fifth player in NFL history with two touchdown runs of 90-plus yards in their careers. Who are the other four?

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Lenn Sakata?

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Will say Bo Jackson, Gale Sayers, Tony Dorsett and Barry Sanders

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Bo is one. TD runs of 92 and 91 yards, plus an 88-yarder for good measure.

No on the other three. Dorsett only had the 99-yarder. Sayers and Sanders never had even one 90-yard TD.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Marcus Allen?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Nope. He had a 92-yard touchdown reception in 1984, but his longest TD run was the 74-yarder in the Super Bowl against the Redskins.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

micro-
    Sakata it is. Finally got a hit against the White Sox in 1982. Well done.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

I want to say Garrison Hearst is one.

Draft saved Draft deleted