1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

White House official saying that Trump is unlikely to travel for campaign events this weekend.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Swell. More time on the golden toilet.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

An interesting poll for sure. That many people think they are better off? And that much higher than any time since 1980? Really? What were the questions asked? Did people think they were answering the other way? We are fortunate to be comfortable but all things considered I'd never say we were better off than four years ago and not by a long shot. Hell, might be the first time in my life I didn't think I was better off than the previous four years. But I guess I'm in the minority.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

where's Pence?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Bragman - can't be his real name, can it? - getting dragged for this.

Here, by a recent MacArthur grant winner.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Two things are at work. Things got so bad for so many people in the early 2010s that I think it paints the responses to any kind of question like that. People still have being foreclosed on in their minds, so they are not necessarily thinking in terms of "just the last 3 years."

But the bigger thing is how polarized and how dug in so many people are compared to the past. So they aren't being honest. In the past, people would get asked that and they'd give a more honest answer. Now, if they are a Trump supporter, things are better than ever, and if they hate him, things suck. Which leaves maybe 30 percent of people telling the truth. It's not a meaningful poll in any way.

I think for that reason, you can't compare this to past election cycles.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

OK, and to continue that thought.

Both "better than ever" and "things suck" aren't really telling the truth, just letting their presidential emotions respond to the poll.

BUT . . . if 56% of people "think" they're better off --- whether they really are or not --- that's usually good for an incumbent.

In any event, it was the 1984 number that surprised me. I knew things continued to spiral downhill the first 18 months of Reagan's term (inertia is a bitch), but I had thought things had significantly improved by July 1984. In fact, mortgage rates were slightly HIGHER in July 1984 (14.67%) than they were in November 1980 (14.21%). Things were trending better by then, but it wasn't until October 1986 that they dipped below 10%, and it wasn't until December 1990 that they STAYED below 10%.

30-Year Fixed-Rate Mortgages Since 1971 - Freddie Mac

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Green screen. Guy isn’t healthy enough to step out onto the lawn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.