1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports page designer, Lee Design Center

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It looks like they’re looking for sports designers for both of Lee’s design centers. They must be really desperate given that they posted this at the same time they laid off people across the country ahead of the end of the fiscal year.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Page Designer
    Lee Enterprises Careers

Date Posted September 21, 2020 (yes, really)
    Industry Newspapers / Wires
    Specialty Sports/Outdoors
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary Not Specified

Description:
    Lee Enterprises is looking for a journalist with design experience to join the growing sports team at our Design Center. We have two locations: Munster, Indiana, located 20 miles from downtown Chicago, and Madison, Wisconsin.

The right candidate will have:

• A passion for thinking creatively to produce dynamic visual storytelling
    • The composure to problem solve and work on deadline
    • The ability to manage several tasks simultaneously (yeah, you’ll be designing for several papers at the same time)
    • Some experience designing in a newsroom environment
    Bonuses:
    • A strong understanding of sports
    • Knowledge of Associated Press style
    • Experience with InDesign and Photoshop
    Training is provided based on each candidate’s needs, so please consider applying if you meet most but not all of the qualifications. Please include a link to your online portfolio or upload samples of your work as additional files along with your resume and cover letter.

This is a full-time position with a varied schedule, including night and weekend hours. Benefits offered include medical, dental, and vision insurances; company paid life and long term disability insurance; company matched 401k; employee assistance program; and paid vacation, personal, sick, and holiday time. Pre-employment background and drug screenings apply.

Lee Enterprises is a leading media organization providing local news and information, and a major platform for advertising, in its markets, with rapidly growing digital products. For more information about Lee, visit www.lee.net.

Capital Newspapers is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are committed to maintaining a workforce that accurately reflects our audience and expands our voice. Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. ​

Let me just say, having worked with one of the Lee design centers as a Lee paper’s sports slot editor, that it seems like an absolutely miserable sweatshop experience.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A job with a good, fiscally sound company. And both locations are just 15 minutes away from Lake Tahoe.

3. InTheKnow22

InTheKnow22 New Member

Probably pays in the low 30s, which is woefully short for what they're asking you to do. This is coming from someone who worked at the GateHouse design center, so I know.

4. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

TAHOE! The only thing that really matters when looking at pay and benefits!!! lol

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

So, in other words, don't do it, right?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is how I feel about any Lee job at this point: I would be cautious, and I would scout out what opportunities might exist in other fields at whatever location I was hired for.

And I would be extremely cautious about making financial commitments at the end of Lee’s fiscal year (September) and first quarter (January).

RonClements likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted