1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clay Travis, Boobs and CNN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Sep 15, 2017.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

What a loser.

4. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

The Maria Taylor column makes good points. I have no idea why he wanted to write about Katie Nolan and his usual woke/MSM/social media word salad act is growing old. Columnists get stale when they think their opinion and vocabulary is more important than reporting. Whitlock rarely seems to report and it makes him predictable.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

By nature, I’m a home-run hitter. It’s time to take another swing for the fences.

6. PCLoadLetter

He'd better be. Running to first is out of the question.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

8. PCLoadLetter

And the comments are filled with "I don't know who she is, but good job putting her in her place!"

Honestly, when Fox is no longer interested in your "tap dancing for the man" act, maybe it's time to go work at daddy's bar.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, I don't think so. Or, at least, it's not related to her tweet over the weekend.

That column was cheap and mean and came dripping with thoughts Whitlock wanted an excuse to unleash for some time. That's why he dropped a line in the Maria Taylor column about it. He got what he was hoping for, too, in Nolan's reaction.

Full disclosure: I think Katie Nolan is funny, and I like her work. I think she'd probably do better in an Amy Schumer-esque universe than locked into ESPN, but I like her work. What she makes for it is her business.

Second full disclosure: I purposely don't follow her on Twitter because I don't even want to know. I do that with a few movie critics, too. My experience - and this is with friends who are FB and Twitter - is it completely convinces them to distort their leanings so as to gain traction in the audience. I have no idea whether Nolan does this. I don't want to know.

Whitlock will lose more people than he gains on that column because there's some nasty inside baseball there no one knows or cares about - who gives a shit about GQ profiles?, who gives a shit what some Fox executive thought when she was 26? - and because it's, just, mean, and it's going to seem like, on some level, somebody within ESPN is saying that.

The last two graphs are abjectly strange and wrong, too.

It’s laughable. Hill, Jones, Le Batard, Sharpe, Wright, Spain, Torre, Deitsch and all the rest fight to keep power in the hands of the white liberal executives who will sit in their glassed offices and determine outcomes that favor their puppets.

Hill, Jones, Le Batard and Co., are no different from Nolan. They don’t want to compete in a meritocracy.

Aside from perhaps one person in that group, all of those folks are winners in a meritocracy. Dan Le Batard? C'mon. He's a few things - but one of them is a great writer. Long has been. He's decent on the TV show, too. Don't agree with most of what he says, but he's pretty good. Jemele Hill...is in fact a journalist and does in fact know sports. Pablo Torre? I mean, he's excellent. Richard Deitsch strikes me as kind of a turd...but the guy gets good stuff from interviewees.

Whitlock does this/has always done this. Anybody who knows anything about journalism and reads the column will shake their head at the end of it.

10. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I really do think that Katie Nolan is overrated and overhyped, but I guess that I'll need to defend her to the death if Whitlock is involved.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t think she’s particularly hyped. At all. If anything I think she’s perhaps drowned out at a network with so many like-minded voices and colleagues.

Whitlock deeply wants to be a part of the journalistic cool kids club. That’s clear. It’s also clear he doesn’t think he’s in that club, he resents it, and I guess Katie Nolan is the target for that.

12. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Isn't she at ESPN? I can't think of anything I've seen her in since that Fox Sports show she had. And that was probably 2016 or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted