1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That tournament sucked.
    Winged Foot was less than impressive.
    The set up sucked.
    The guy who won sucks.

When's ths Masters?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I had a golf trip and was bummed at first to see it was the same weekend as the U.S. Open. Don't feel like I missed a thing.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Seems like every golf writer is sticking with the "DeChambeau's power will change the game forever" angle. But what I saw was him absolutely putting the lights out and hitting every approach shot in a makeable spot. If anything, Wolff outdrove him more often Sunday. Like Mr. Gee said, going from 140 to the top 10 in putting may be the difference, not necessarily being Bam Bam Rubble.

Now, does hitting it farther make the difference? Hell, yeah. Nearly everybody at the top of the leaderboard was a bomber. But I didn't see anyone putt as well as DeChambeau yesterday. Even after Wolff poured in that eagle putt at 9, I was still thinking he needed Bam Bam to leave open a crack. And he never did. He looked to be in complete control.

That was as impressive final round in a major as I've seen from anyone not named Woods. He shot 67 on a day when no one else did better than par.

qtlaw likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the tourney and give DeChambeau big credit. Everyone else was having difficulties getting the ball to correct place on greens to make par and he was doing it. It’s easy to say he was bombing it but that doesn’t explain him getting up and down from tough spots and making the tough par putts. Really wanted Wolff but appreciate what he did. A very good US Open IMHO.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

If there was an issue with Winged Foot, it was that the first five holes were so difficult, it made the rest of the round seem anticlimatic. It took any, if not all, of the drama away, knowing DeChambeau could play par golf on the back nine. When Wolff unraveled on 11, Bam Bam basically ran out the clock.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I watched very little as I was travelling but damn it seemed every time I tuned in, Faherty was telling me how beautiful this hole or that hole was, when it looked to me like a run-of-the-mill suburban country club track.

Oh! And Wrigleyville style bleachers!!!!!!1!!2!!!!

ChrisLong likes this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I watched basically from start to finish for 4 days.
    These young guys are so strong anymore, the greens are all they have to prevent every tournament from turning into the Bob Hope.
    That's why they have to dial the balls back.
    I'm not saying to bring back the old Tour Balatas, but there has to be some common ground.

maumann likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"His power will change the game forever blah blah" is a lazy, hot take-ish angle. The cat has long been out of the bag as far as power taking apart courses. Whether that wins majors has been answered affirmatively for decades.

maumann likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One player finishing under par and shooting a great round to get that done, is not exactly taking the course apart. Long hitters have had the advantage as long as the game's been played. Old Tom Morris probably outdrove everybody. DeChambeau had the best OVERALL game in this tournament. Don't win the Open by six if you don't.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I don't believe we'll see a big Rush to Brysonville because of his win. Some will try to emulate it. I predict failure for them.

Azinger on Sunday continued to harp on "everyone's going to rethink" the game. Bullshit.

Who's going to rush out and put on 30-40 pounds, throw away their clubs to buy same-length clubs, forget and re-learn everything they've done for years or that goes against traditional play of /checksnotes/ something like 350 years from the days of batting skulls around with a staff, put in the time to do all all all this, put up with the failures, relearn putting with that straight-arm method, and learn all the calculus and geometry?

Few, if any.

If he wins a few more times in this 50-whatever event season, there may be more interest. For now I think he's an outlier. I don't keep up with product intros or insider dope, but are Ping, Titleist, PXG and other clubmakers rushing today to make same-length shafts or sets? I don't know. I doubt it, though.

All that said, good on him for sticking with what he believes in. I don't think he's going to change everything but it's cool to see someone who works at something and has confidence in it be successful.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think a lot of high school and college golfers are going to try to get as big as the linebackers at their schools because of the success of DeChambeau.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When I worked at Tennis magazine and wrote about regripping a racket, I advised using the biggest grip the player could comfortably hold, as with a screwdriver, the larger the handle, the better and more stable the performance. By coincidence I recently got a hand-me-down driver from my uncle with a Jumbo grip like deChambeau uses, and while I can't swing like him, you can feel the positive effect on the hands.

playthrough and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted