1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't the NHL also play a 48-game season once because of a strike?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yes, in 2012-13.

I don't think the NHL or NBA wants to mess around with September finishes again. Maybe July, but their championship series are just getting completely lost in football. It's one thing for the pre-Christmas regular season to get lost, but you can't be putting your finals up against the NFL.

Batman likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

This.
    60 game or so regular season and try and have Finals near July 4 week.3 games a week for 20 weeks. Players have no desire to play an 82 or 80 game schedule, they just desire to be paid for it, as would everyone else.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just cut out the "load management" games.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Although if trump wins he may ban public gatherings of the black people, they don’t like him.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is the first time that athletic events in North Idaho have been canceled due to smoke from wildfires?

7. LanceyHoward

The late Leonard Koppett had a column it the Sporting News. He used to advocate the NBA season start later and finish later. From a business prespective the argument would be this.

If you start at Christmas or right after New Year's you can end the season in August. The games that are played in November and December do not draw much interest because they conflict with football. But in July and August television viewing slumps because there are fewer viewers. That means that networks wait until September to roll out their new programming. The NBA would pick up a lot more viewers in July and August than they would lose in November and December.

I think that makes an immense amount of sense.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Totally agree. The idea that basketball is a "winter" sport is dreadfully old-fashioned. Modern arenas allow for play at any time. Getting away from college and NFL football while having the summer for your championships would be a smart business decision. The NBA doesn't need to match seasons with the NCAA any more.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

No, it's almost becoming an annual occurrence.

But it was a relatively good year for air quality here until the Labor Day windstorm stoked fires across the Northwest.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Considering when their seasons are, I remember people wondering why basketball wasn't in the Winter Olympics.

11. LanceyHoward

I also think that if boxing and wrestling have weight divisions there should size divisions in basketball. There should be a six foot and under division. Countries like the Philippines. where basketball is very popular, should have a shot at a gold medal.

maumann likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Considering when their seasons take place, nobody wanted to disrupt that. The 1992 Dream Team certainly didn't. Nor did any of the preceding teams. Basketball is a 12-month sport these days, especially in AAU.

Draft saved Draft deleted