1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cool science stuff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. Everything is becoming robotic push button death.

2. Vombatus

Speaking of which, I don’t have a link (Military Times probably has it), but a recent dogfight simulation of AI vs human pilots had the AI pilot win convincingly.

The role of the fighter pilot is going to be significantly diminished over the next couple of decades.

Like journalists.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Well, my recollection is there were several rules and restrictions placed on the scenario that worked in the AI’s favor.

5. Vombatus

I could see them restricting the AI aircraft to normal human G loads. In reality, a plane with no pilot could do some really out of the box maneuvers.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Here's one of them:

The conditions in the simulation weren’t realistic for aerial combat. To start, the artificial intelligence system had perfect information, which experts commentating on the event noted never happens in the field. The human pilot was also flying a fake stick in a virtual seat.

“There are a lot caveats and disclaimers to add in here,” Col. Dan Javorsek, program manager in DARPA’s Strategic Technology Office, said in a post-event livestream.

Here's another:

The duel involved using the F-16’s onboard M61 Vulcan 20-millimeter Gatling gun only, with no missiles allowed. According to the rules of engagement, gun shots were assumed to automatically hit the target, with no misses.

Heron’s AI was very aggressive throughout the tournament, quickly maneuvering into position to get a shot off against its opponent. The AI made the most of the F-16’s flight characteristics, position, and speed in ways that trained pilots might not, often to execute some shots that were unlikely to score hits in real life, but were registered as “kills” in-tournament.

This is particularly apparent in the duel against Banger. While the pilot took time to set up a shot with a high kill probability, the Heron AI went for any shot it could conceivably take. In each case, Heron reached a position where it could get a shot off faster than Banger could—but in reality, Banger might have actually won the duel.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BTW, I am stunned and hurt that my post about an astrophysicist saying a time machine can be built got no response at all.

NOTHING.

9. Vombatus

I was going to eventually go back in time and reply to it.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh sure, you say that NOW. ;)

maumann, Batman and Vombatus like this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wait for it

Or maybe not

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted