1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yah!!!!!

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I am not ready to write Tiger off, particularly at Augusta.

But today had a "Willie Mays in the 1973 World Series" feel for him and Mickelson. This course made old guys look their age.

Edited: Graeme McDowell -- 76-80 with a birdie at the final.

Splendid Splinter and MileHigh like this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm sure that Winged Foot has all kind of traditions, etc.

This tournament isn't half as interesting as the PGA at Harding Park last month.

Don't @ me.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

How interesting can any tournament be after 36 holes. You get bored at ballgames in the top of the fifth, or NBA games at halftime?

5. poindexter

I don't get thrilled by miniature golf, and the false front at 18 is stupid. As is some of the other putting greens.
    I want to see championships won by shots like Morikawa did at Harding. Not someone else winning because a ball plugged in rough because a dude hit it 2 feet off the green.
    The surrounding San Fran Harding Park atmosphere was tons better.

This is, to use an old sj saying, inarguable among the sane.

TigerVols likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The US Open is, and always has been, about seeing the world's best suffer the indignities of inexorable fate. If you don't like that, fine. But that's what it is. Harding Park is a fine course, easily San Francisco's second best (not a knock, Olympic is pretty fucking great). Winged Foot is one of the top 10 US courses. And, to address your first point, who's to say a shot like Morikawa's doesn't win it on Sunday? It's Friday night. If you're disappointed on Sunday night, I will accept your opinion respectfully. Until then, let's see what happens.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As someone who literally learned to play at Harding as a kid ($15 for golf at all SF public courses for a year!!), I loved seeing it dressed up for the PGA and thought it was a great set up, but as a golfer, I love seeing the trials and tribulations of Winged Foot. Those greens are unreal; are they miniature golf goofy? Not to me, I think its just really hard and it demands a level of exactness that tournament holders do not regularly require of the PGA members. There are amazing greens that are super difficult but if you hit the right shot, you get rewarded. IMHO its about a tremendous level of precision not silliness.

8. poindexter

I'll stand down. I'm not fighting a Texas Death Match over it. I hope this weekend is fun.

9. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

It’s been 15 years since I’ve been to Winged Foot. I don’t know if this 18th green blends into the terrain or not. There’s plenty of bad play, that’s for sure — which I’m OK with. I’d rather watch this than a four-hour telecast of 9-iron approach shots and everyone shooting 64.

Attached Files:

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

USGA let the kids have their fun going -5 at Chambers and -16 at Erin Hills. Davis finally said "Let's get this back where it needs to be."
    I still think someone is under par here after 72 holes.
    I hope it's Reed.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yep. I'm the same. I tell any strangers I'm paired with before we start, "I'm a 30, yes, but I'm a fast 30." And once I reach net double bogey for a hole, I'm done. I pick up and move on. Ain't no need to take a 14 on any hole when it's not an official competition.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Which is why with last week's announcement of several Opens going to Pinehurst -- 2024, 2029, 2035, 2041 and 2047 -- and making it an anchor course, we're going to see a rota like The Open. Which I'm good with. Anchoring Pinehurst isn't my first choice -- Open should be a Pebble every five years -- but the USGA is East Coast-centric.

Draft saved Draft deleted