1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We still don't have bar seating in Virginia. Went out Sunday to watch the late games because I knew that the place I like to frequent was going to be packed for Eagles-Football Team. Was lucky enough to snag a seat next to an open door because the distancing that had been present early in the pandemic had clearly slipped. Seven people gathered around one table, etc., no masks.

You can sit "at the bar" here only in that some places have pulled high tops up to the bar where you can have two people sit, distanced from other high tops. So instead of having 20 people at a bar, maybe there's eight. Of course, that doesn't really protect the bartender, but they're in close contact with others all day anyway. I do try to pull my mask up any time I'm talking to a server. It's only polite.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't get going to an indoor bar area, that has a lot of other people there too, to watch a football game in a middle of a pandemic. Forget the fact that people don't distance or wear masks in places like that. This is a highly contagious virus that isn't under control here and spreads easily among people.

We could have been in much better shape right now, and closer to having it under control, at least under control enough to get back to more essential things with people masked up until we can hopefully get herd immunity via immunization.

But people need to go to bars to watch football, so we will suffer ridiculously high infection rates and a way outsized proportion of deaths.

Nation. Of. Idiots.

OscarMadison, maumann, Dyno and 3 others like this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

To be clear, I've only gone to places that have had very few people in it. Had I not been able to get the section I did on Sunday, away from the other people on the other side of the building, I wouldn't have stayed.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was my point. Much of Europe is basically in "Sigh. Just learn to live with it" mode.

And in Germany, they're starting to pooh-pooh "cases" in favor of deaths/hospitalizations.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Countries that took proper measures at the beginning are now starting to see that “second wave” building.

Unlike here, where the first huge wave just keeps sloshing around the country.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In the case of France, I am not sure it is a second wave. Much of Europe shuts down in July and August and people go on vacation. The south of France, which is getting hit now, had a lot of tourists coming and going. ... and although Americans try hard, stupidity isn't a phenomenon limited entirely to the U.S.

maumann likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So I've spent some time trying to get a read on the Chinese virologist who says COVID-19 is man-made but a) the news sources I find touting her are somewhat "questionable" and b) I can't find a reputable source disputing or discrediting her claims or reputation. As best I can tell, she was an actual virologist working in Hong Kong on WHO-supported research. My suspicion is - her bugging out of Hong Kong for the US lines up well with increasing government crackdowns in Hong Kong.
    Whether this means China "promoted" COVID-19 to "end" the HK protests or she used COVID-19 claims to juice her ability to move to the US I have no idea.

Chinese virologist who claimed coronavirus was created in a lab has been suspended by Twitter

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My HS sophomore was going on a 2 day a week hybrid program. She went last Thursday, this Monday and they just announced all virtual for the time being due to positive tests

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

One of my local schools was using a hybrid model and they’re scrapping it for a number of reasons. Mainly, kids were roaming the halls after class and disrupting other face-to-face classes, and a large number of hybrid students are failing at their online courses. So at the end of the first six weeks, it’ll be either all online or all FTF.

Draft saved Draft deleted