1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clay Travis, Boobs and CNN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Sep 15, 2017.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

We've had multiple individuals here over the years fall in bad odor with their employers because of assholes from this forum.

That would be why.

Liut likes this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  6. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

I know some of the BLM "leaders" claimed to be Marxists in 2015. Is there some evidence I'm unaware that this is a driving force behind the organization currently. I largely think this is a scare tactic, but if there is some large body of evidence that Marxism is significant to the BLM I would like to see it.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Let's say I am a self-proclaimed marxist. And let's say I come to you and say, "I think we have a problem with police brutality and racially-motivated violence against black people, and I'd like to see change." Does A (proclaiming myself a marxist) have anything to do with B (police brutality / violence)?

This is why whenever someone responds to an idea with ad hominem answer, it raises my antenna.

8. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

If you want to say there are some bad things happening - riots, looting, screaming, violence etc. - that seem connected to BLM (whatever BLM is) in some way - I would listen. That stuff needs to stop.
    If you want to use those bad things to dismiss all concerns and protests involving Black people and law enforcement, I think you are being dishonest or lazy.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’d go so far as to say there are three groups. Maybe 4.

The first group and the largest are just people who seriously want to see change and want a show of people to underline that sincerity. Most BLM rallies are personal stories, a few songs, a prayer, a moment of silence, some tears, lots of hugs. It’s catharsis.

The second group are BLM movement adherents who are cultural Marxists, who believe in the corruption of western society, the value of intersectionality hierarchy. It’s hard to tell sometimes how effective that message is.

The third group are anti-government leftists down for whatever; mostly to raise hell. I think they’ve glommed onto BLM because it’s the thing going on, but these would have been your WTO folks years ago or the Occupy Wall Street protestors a decade ago. This is what you’re seeing for example in Portland, One of the most progressive cities in one of the most progressive states in the nation. Ditto with Seattle. If you were going to pick two cities they probably had fewer problems than most with police brutality, it’d be these two, and yet a lot of hell is raised there because it can be. They believe in...something, and that something plays a role in the havoc and the flash mobs and the confrontations. They’re not all that helpful to any of this and having been to rallies
    Where they’re *not* around, *the difference is noticeable.*

The fourth group are a few unorganized looters/fools who probably don’t have an ideological mindset but are happy to get free stuff or throw a rock.

Most people go to the rallies want absolutely nothing to do with violence and the confrontation with cops.

Patchen likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. stix

stix Well-Known Member

From my experience, I would say this is pretty much spot-on. I recently spent a whole week basically embedded with these groups covering protests for work (us sports guys are VERY versatile).

The arsonists and looters were mainly in the fourth group and were there early on in the week. My interpretation there was pretty simple: They were 20-something kids who wanted to party and be crazy. Whatever allowed them to do that, that's where they would plant themselves.

Once they were cleared out, it was a combination of the first 3 groups stated here. A lot were exactly like the Occupy Wall Street crowd. Kind of vagabonds who go all over the country to these places, smoke a lot of weed, hang out, protest a little, hate all authority, etc. ... I talked to a lot of them, they were generally cool dudes. Nice enough, maybe a little "far out," but harmless, keep to themselves, don't bother anyone.

And the first group is your community leaders and organizers that deeply care about creating change in the very communities where they live. These groups hate the rioters, rightfully so, because they hurt the cause.

In general, though, BLM is not a political organization. That's all fear-based bullshit, typical rhetoric used by white people who are simply terrified of Black people who are seeking a little power and making some noise. That's the basic ideology behind the Will Cains, Clay Travises, et al, of the world: Black people are fine as long as they're quiet and stay in line.

Any time Black people rightfully assert their voices, they get labeled as "Marxist," "destructive," "dangerous," the usual words. I laugh at how these dudes all yell "Why can't they be more like MLK!!!" while clearly ignoring that MLK was labeled as "dangerous" and "out of line" by white people in his day, too.

Same as it ever was.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

BLM and Marxism don't even align that well. A true Marxist focuses on class over race.

Draft saved Draft deleted