1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Every time I hear that Rolex commerical, I think to myself that Dorothy Gale already has a bust in the Hall of Fame.

[​IMG]

SixToe and da man like this.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Right next to the Lollipop Guild. They were all-timers.

maumann likes this.
  3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The Masters had that rule until the 1980s

7. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

Every amateur that plays in the Masters ought to take a club caddie. Otherwise you’re just throwing away strokes.

8. playthrough

Right, but did they have many 16-year-olds in the caddie shack?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I never entered the Masters media lottery the two times I was there, as I knew I'd feel too self-conscious to enjoy myself. Our golf beat writer, who was a 10-12 handicapper, did enter every year and one year won. He said his club caddy did a tremendous job of 1. Assessing his game and adjusting advice accordingly. 2. Urging him to take more chances, like going for it in 2 on 13, with a mixture of encouragement and shaming him for maybe cheating himself out of a once-in-a-lifetime thrill. Joe said the guy added like 50 percent to the experience.

maumann likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I played in a media day event for the U.S. Open at Congressional in 2011 and me and another player shared a club caddie. Absolutely added to the experience. The only other time I've had a caddie was when I played at Kinloch in Virginia, and again, it made a huge difference in my game. Even made a ridiculous birdie on 15 thanks to some great advice from the loop.

maumann likes this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Played a media event at Riviera and we had a fore caddie. Great for helping to find the ball after your drive. Made a few suggestions. He was at the teebox and pointed out a few things, then headed up the fairway. Our biggest problem was figuring out how much to tip him. I don't think any of us had ever used a caddie before.

12. playthrough

No 1. is key, but only if you listen. I caddied at a snooty club near home over a few breaks from college and one hole was a long-ish par 3 over a lake. I handed my guy his 7-wood or some such, he scoffed at me and grabbed a mid-iron. Splashed it nowhere close to shore.

Draft saved Draft deleted