1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They also have no-juice NFL sides on Saturdays, as I conveniently found out this morning.

2. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

This is largely a myth that Vegas lines go down to the final buzzer so often. Bettors always remember the games they win on the next to last play.
    I went back and looked at a random college hoops Saturday in January. Of 108 games with posted lines, 27 spreads were decided by the margin of one possession (1 to 3 points) but nearly twice as many (52) were decided by double-digit differences in the spread. (This is why you NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER play teasers in basketball.)
    I'm sure somewhere in the vast Internet universe there are similar numbers for entire football and basketball seasons.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't disagree, but there is more variance in college basketball scores. In the NFL, outcomes by 3 and 7 points are by far the most frequent and so of course the spreads are right around there too. You don't get a lot of rocking-chair bets in the pros.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I love how Coastal-Kansas is the get out Hawaii game tonight.

5. exmediahack

We all done burning our money thinking the Browns are a value pick?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Some interesting college football lines up on VegasInsider.
    Can I jump on San Jose State -3 1/2 at Penn State? I don't think Penn State even shows up for that one.

Sports Betting News and Vegas Odds

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Oof. Just realized the Lions were -2 1/2. So they blow a 17-point lead in the fourth quarter, AND a chance to salvage the win and the cover with a dropped touchdown pass in the final seconds. That's a tough beat right there.

8. exmediahack

For the room.

First Half lines for Cowboys-Rams.

One book has Dallas +0.5 -125
    Another has Rams +1.5 -110

If I put $100 on Dallas and $94 on the Rams, I am guaranteed to lose $14.50 unless it’s tied or Rams losing by 1. Then I win $166.

Good value?

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You're betting on a very specific outcome in a game with an enormous amount of variance. It's not a ton of money to take a flyer on if you're up a bit and feeling frisky, but I can't see how it's a good bet when there is only one path to winning. It feels like you're hitting on 20 in blackjack just to say you did it.

10. exmediahack

I wouldn’t do it for a single point. But a push on a tie and a win one point is interesting.

What I’m choosing to do anyway:
    U27 first half. $100 at -110
    O25 first half $75 at +105 at another shop.

I may play the $20-25 in game. SNF is often under first half.

11. exmediahack

Dallas by 1 at half. Well, shit. But the 27 was beautiful.

12. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Moreover, the books aren't predicting the final margin or the total. Their job is to set numbers that attract equal action on both sides. So, yes, their numbers might very well have semblance of the outcome, but that's not their goal.
    Used to have to edit a "writer" who would frequently use, "Las Vegas thinks Plucky U is eight points worse than This Week's Opponent, but ..."
    Same "writer" also used "chopped liver" as in a metaphor.

Draft saved Draft deleted