1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Gundy, 53, still picking media fights

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Which one is Mike Gundy?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kind of strange that Oklahoma State hasn't won a national title during my lifetime.

Too good a program not to've.

3. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

This has to be sarcasm because OK ST has been a joke for much of their existence. Not easy to recruit to Stillwater and have Oklahoma as your main rival.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

OSU does a good job recruiting and developing individual players. The team aspect is where Gundy and his predecessors continually fail.

5. Songbird

Okie State has 16 current players in the NFL.

Since 2008 they are 111-45 with 6 10-win seasons, including 12-1 in 2011 when they started 10-0 then fucking lost at Iowa State.

They've been very good for 12 years.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Exactly. Plenty of talent. Never comes up big when it matters. I don't know if that's necessarily on Gundy, since every OSU team has come up short in the clutch.

The reason they are good is T. Boone's money. Otherwise, they're Iowa State with better uniforms.

7. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I really don't want to defend Gundy (this is supposed to be a Gundy-bashing thread, smh) but the Pokes have as many Top 15 finishes (four) under Gundy than they did in their entire post-WWII existence.

As a coach, he's the best Oklahoma State has ever had. But his view/relationship with the media continues to be absurd.

Patchen likes this.
  8. Tech Trojan

Tech Trojan New Member

Mike Gundy is a Man dammit! A grown ass one. One that stands up for Big - 12 Values and football. Not like those pantywaists in the PAC -12 and Big -10 administrators and left wing proffs canceling football. Least he stands for something.

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

1 conference championship and zero playoff appearances? A shade under 4 losses per year? Hell Sparty is a damn dynasty then

10. Songbird

There's the Hall of Fame ...

... and the Hall of Very Good.

Like I said, they've had all the pieces. Why they haven't won the whole enchilada at least once is beyond me.

11. Songbird

Oklahoma has made the playoff 4 times and lost by an average of 50-31.

For the time being I think we can be done with the Annual Playoff Whacking of Oklahoma.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

But he’s not 40 now.

Draft saved Draft deleted