1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Just catching up on your saga. I hope by now you're somewhere over an ocean, on your way to Hong Kong. There was a time when many here at sj would have pooled together and paid for a hotel near the airport, so you didn't have to sleep in the terminal. Hell, there was a time when I had a zillion Marriott points I'd have gladly given you. I'm just glad to see someone is employing fact checkers! What a strange, strange world this has become, in so many ways.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Thanks, I appreciate that. We're scheduled to take off in an hour -- still a fair few people in line having their documents gone over with a fine-toothed comb. I appear to be one of the few people flying without a face shield. That might have been a concern at one point, but there's about three dozen people lining up for a flight on an Airbus A350 so social distancing shouldn't be much of an issue.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

Pregnant fiancee and I declined an invitation to my bosses' birthday bash Saturday (their birthdays are same week). We have locked down in anticipation of driving cross-country to see family and make it legal after a couple delays. Today, boss says their entire family is sick. Co-worker asks if it's COVID. Response is, "No. Runny noses and sore throats." We both inform that that could be COVID and they should get tested. She responds that the oldest kid has had it for a few days and is starting to feel better, the rest of them are just getting, she's pretty sure it's just colds.

WTF is wrong with people?

OscarMadison, HanSenSE, SFIND and 2 others like this.
  5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

My nephew has it. Freshman at Oklahoma. My brother says he's not bad and getting better.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Remember when smug Trumpists were snickering and mocking NYC for its Trumpandemic death toll?
    If September is like August, in which 20K of the 30K deaths were in states with GOP governors, Trumpist states' share of the cumulative death count will be right in line with their share of the US population: 45%.
    As for case counts, the Trumpists and their mask-rejecting klan have already surpassed states with Democratic governors. They made up ground pretty quickly.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Would love a first-hand account of that awesome plane and unique environment!

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hoping for the best.​

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

And I would love to give you one... but I was fast asleep for about three quarters of the 13-hour flight. Anyone who wanted their own row could have it. Unlike the AA flight from Narita to DFW, though, they weren't offering double entrees and snack boxes. A small price to pay for bringing this ridiculous saga to a close, perhaps.

I'm in the Hong Kong airport now. We touched down at 6:15 a.m. local time, and four hours later I've finally got my quarantine orders (hotel stays mandatory for travelers from the US, Hong Kong residence or no) and taken my deep saliva test. I have to stay in the 'holding area' -- a series of individual desks and chairs scattered throughout one of the terminals -- until those results come back, and if they're negative I have to go straight to the hotel. I'm told the wait could be up to 12 hours due to today being unusually busy with flights; our flight was mostly empty, but apparently there were other flights that brought a large number of prospective domestic helpers from Indonesia and the Philippines. No electrical outlets in sight and my phone is already out of juice, so I might end up busting out the work laptop just to keep from being stuck with my own thoughts for several hours.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good gawd.

Draft saved Draft deleted