1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

So we went over 6M documented cases in this country, which means an actual likely total of 60M. If herd immunity is reached at 70%, that means we are a quarter of the way there.

Without a vaccine, we have another year and a half to get there if current rates hold, sooner if we have a massive spike. But I would much rather get there with a vaccine, the way herd immunity is intended in the first place.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. Situation

Situation Member

He did say: "For me personally, just talking no one else gets the virus ...."

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I accuse them of that every time I see any medical bill. :)

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Good for him.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

PRATT.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. Twirling Time

63-37 would be a bigger ass-whipping than LBJ gave Goldwater. And this is the incumbent.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I did this a couple of months back on the toxic board.

Doing some digging (incumbents running and lost)

1992: Bush 37.4%. Third-party Ross Perot got 18.9%. (370-168 EC)
    1980: Carter 41%. Third-party John Anderson got 6.6%. (489-49 EC)
    1976 (doesn't really count): Ford 48%. (297-240 EC)
    1932: Hoover, 39.7%. (472-59 EC)
    1912: Taft, 23.2%. Teddy Roosevelt was second at 27.4% and Eugene Debs got 6% (435-88-8 EC)
    1892: Harrison, 43%. James Weaver got 8.5% (277-145-22 EC)
    1888: Cleveland, 48.6% (233-168 EC); actually won the popular vote
    1868: Johnson lost the nomination
    1856: Pierce didn't get the nomination
    1840: Van Buren, 46.8% (234-60 EC)
    1828: Quincy Adams, 43.6% (178-83 EC)
    1800: Adams, 38.6%. (73-65 EC)

10. Twirling Time

Realistically, Biden’s ceiling is probably 350 EVs.The only way he gets to 400 is if Georgia and Texas both flip.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think 319 might be realistic if he gets the vote out successfully and the polls are correct. That's Ohio going Trump (safe bet) NC going Trump (even money), Arizona going Biden (polls say it could happen) and Florida narrowly going Biden.

I do kind of want to hope that Biden can continue to make Trump and Republicans have to spend money in Georgia and Texas. Polls are going the other way right now, so Trump may not spend as much, but I want to hope. And hell, maybe Texas will become purple ahead of schedule of the votes can turn out. Whatever my hope, if you have friends in ... well anywhere ... encourage them to vote and bring a friend.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Documents checked and double-checked by Cathay Pacific management at LAX. I am clear to fly to Hong Kong.

Now to convince my jerkbrain to stop worrying the authorities in Hong Kong will reject my paperwork so I can get some sleep.

Draft saved Draft deleted