1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Thompson (Big John)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

John Thompson, aka "Mr. Bronze," helped create the Dream Team concept. His 1988 Olympic team didn't have any shooters, either. I respect what he did at Georgetown, but his methods oftentimes left something to be desired.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"Inside the NBA" crew all wearing towels over their shoulders in the studio.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One remarkable thing about John Thompson: his tenure there managed to lead a couple of generations to think Georgetown was an HBCU.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Big John had Mary Fenton to thank for that one. She kept the players working off the court.

John Feinstein got plenty on that one in one of his earlier books ... might have been "A Season Inside."

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If he look at what his players on that team did in the pros, he chose pretty good team. Foreign ball was just too good.

Shit, Knight kept a few stiffs and cut Barkley.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Two things I don't care about: Georgetown's basketball academics and Mary Fenton's boobs.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Corrected. Ouch ... that one hurts.

I think Big John cared more about his players getting an education and earning a degree than most. If he didn't, I doubt Fenton would have been mentioned as prominently ... or that Thompson vehemently defended any criticisms involving her.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Mark me down as one of those. When I was kid in Brooklyn, Georgetown basketball was everything. I couldn't have told the first thing about the school or the location or anything. I just knew that the players looked and played like the guys I watched on the courts and the coach reminded me of father. Imagine my surprise when I started reading about the school and student body many years later.

I still watch the Georgetown-Kentucky 1984 semifinal from time to time just to see a example of a team being shut completely down defensively.

I did get a chance to talk to him one town on a story about Horace Broadnax when he took the Savannah State job. Once he warmed up he told some great stories. Horace, who is also an attorney and a member of the bars in a few states, has such reverence for him and talked about how much JT supported him when he expressed interest in law.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When I was growing up in Brooklyn, everyone had a Big East team. People with no connection to any school would root for Georgetown, Syracuse, etc.

Twirling Time likes this.
  10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I grew up in Brownsville so it was pretty staunchly Georgetown or Syracuse if you were friends or played with/against Pearl Washington.

My mom wouldn't get me a Georgetown starter jacket for Christmas because they were getting stolen at a pretty high clip, so I got a Hoya Paranoia t-shirt and a cool navy blue Georgetown sweater instead.

Webster likes this.
  11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It’s Fenlon, not Fenton. Mary Fenlon.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

For me back then when I watched it was ...

GEORGETOWN!!11!!!

Love Pearl Washington! but FUCK THAT ASSHOLE JIM BOEHEIM!

Neither here nor there on St. John's but loved watching them ball it up with GEORGETOWN! and Pearl Washington. And I liked Walter Berry and was intrigued by super white bread lefty Chris Mullin.

Draft saved Draft deleted