1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The killing of Cannon Hinnant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jerry-atric, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Perhaps a love triangle.

Can you imagine!

2. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

I was born in Wilson. And I work at a nearby media outlet and we've been getting the 'why didn't you cover this a certain way?' or 'why didn't you put it was a black guy shooting a white kid?' all week.

maumann likes this.
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Saw this post on Facebook and thought it was interesting (I bolded my favorite line):

"Stop using a child's murder as a pawn in your race war. You only want media attention because he was murdered by a black man. A criminal, not an officer sworn under oath to serve and protect your constitutional right to a fair trial. This family will not have to fight for justice because it will be served to them on a silver platter, as it should be. However, Tamir Rice's and Breonna Taylor's families deserve the same justice served on that exact same silver platter. Celebrate this child's life, mourn his loss, but please don't use him as a fan to please your own personal political agenda."

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is what I thought as well, and it is a fair point, but starting a thread to use the murder of a young child to troll the board is a bit much. BTE's post was a disgrace, too, but at least he actually engages in real discussions here.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

All valid points. We lurk and watch and try to keep things in line as much as possible. If Hootie starts acting out, we'll take action.

outofplace likes this.
  6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

7. Smallpotatoes

8. Smallpotatoes

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I think people, rightly so, wanted this to get some play on network news. I certainly think it should have -- especially since all three networks have been airing frequent stories on the kids allegedly killed by Lori Vallow.

10. Smallpotatoes

The killer was quickly arrested and charged. What is the media supposed to talk about day after day?

That's the first time I've heard of Lori Vallow.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I still think this is a perfect story to show the need for stricter gun control.

Patchen and Jerry-atric like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The perfect 36.

Draft saved Draft deleted