1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your favorite Grateful Dead “bootleg”?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jerry-atric, May 29, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I own many Grateful Dead “bootleg” tapes, but my favorite is the February 13, 1970, “bootleg” from Filmore East in New York City. I especially love the band’s cover of the blues classic, “Smokestack Lightning.”

What is everyone else’s favorite “Dead” bootleg?

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Close.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Would’ve been too easy if he rejoined as “Don Draper.”

5. Weir-d Science

Weir-d Science New Member

Troll Over Beethoven: March 1, 1980 at Oakland Coliseum. Whole show is Chucky Berry covers.

Neutral Corner and Jerry-atric like this.
  6. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Today's selection: Lyceum, London 5/23/72. Do yourself a favor and check out the "Morning Dew". You can find it on Spotify. It will break your heart, lift your spirit, and stir your emotions. The song fits the times we're living through. Enjoy your day folks. More so now than ever be kind to your fellow humans.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Not a boot, exactly. This was my first Dead show. They were still using the Wall of Sound. Tremendous show. Keith and Donna. Maria Muldaur opened, great whorehouse blues.

Once I heard Bob Weir do Marty Robbin's "El Paso", I was on the bus. Figuratively, anyhow.

Dead of the Day: June 20, 1974

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I saw two Dead shows and this was the second one. Obviously a long way from their prime but various Dead websites pronounced this one as one of the best of that tour. I remember the killer version of "When I Paint My Masterpiece", just listened to it again, still sounds great almost 33 years later.

June 30, 1987

10. August West

August West Member

10/29/77 Evans Field House, Dekalb, IL

Phil’s self-described “happiest day of my life.”

Ferocious

11. John

John Well-Known Member

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted