1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Typical redneck sheriff saying redneck sheriff things, thinking he's a modern-day Buford Pusser who can beat the virus with a baseball bat.

I remember getting a press credential from their department way back in 1978 when I worked weekends in Ocala. Glad to see 40 years hasn't changed things there.

tapintoamerica, garrow and matt_garth like this.
  2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

We're less than two weeks into "official" preseason fall sports practice in Ohio. I know of three high schools within 25 miles of me with football players that have tested positive. One school shut down program completely, other two are continuing missing a few kids who are quaranting.

DeWine is expected to give football thumbs up any day, and schools will be restarting later this month across much of the state.

We'll see how it goes.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Just ran some numbers, combat death rate in WWII for US servicemen was .086%. Non-fatal wounds .177%. WWII was safer than COVID ?

Numbers from the National WWII museum in New Orleans.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Your error (I believe) is treating ONLY known cases in your percentages. These people have already been hit with the bullet.

We ALL are "in the COVID battlefield," not just the people with confirmed cases. Some of us get hit with the bullet; most don't. But we're all "in combat" so to speak.

Right now our COVID death rate is 0.0005% for all 330 million of us "in the battlefield."

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's some really fine pencil work to make this disease which has killed 160,000 Americans in a few months seem like no big deal. I guess we need to do the same math various other diseases too.

7. BTExpress

The only problem is . . . that's not what I was doing.

Responding to yab's post, I'm saying that I am in less danger now than a US soldier facing combat in WWII.

If you want to disagree with that . . . then you're the one making what those soldiers faced seem like "no big deal."

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Lou Holtz disagrees.

Storming the beaches at Normandy was a lot like playing Auburn.

So suck it up.

SFIND likes this.
  10. BTExpress

Speaking of which . . .

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

BTE is in the shit

the death rate if you were an American during WWII was .00308%. 407,000 deaths out of a population of 132M. . Testing positive is being in the service.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted