1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's not an unfair criticism. I'm sure she's well prepared for it. Frankly, Biden didn't select her to garner more of the black vote. He outpolled her by a large margin among black voters during the primary and she didn't seem to move the needle among that demographic. But she's well qualified, an excellent debater, and there's not a goddamn person in the GOP who will be able bully her.

For me, during the primary season, there were three Dems I found most intriguing as Presidential candidates. I went into the season with Beto as my primary interest. I found Castro to be really interesting. But Harris was the one who I wanted to vote for. However, she didn't gain nearly enough traction among the rest of the Democrats and, honestly, I think part of it was fear of putting up a black woman against a white male.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

At best, she probably helps reassure some Black voters who might be angry over some of the stupid shit he has said. It helps deflect crap like the Trump campaign ad tonight. She may be more help with women than minorities. It is also tougher to sell the Trump's law and order crap with her on the other side.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Kamala was the safe pick, the logical pick, the right pick, the ONLY pick.

Biden didn't screw it up.

Senator Harris was my choice for the top of the ticket, but in the interest of pragmatism, I'll take this. Uncle Joe will serve four years, while Republicans wonder what the fuck they were doing in turning over the country to a blithering idiot who said he alone could fix it.

The Fat Fuck is the worst thing to ever happen to this country, and he will continue to haunt our nation long after he leaves the office, whether it is willfully or at the end of a bayonet. This motherfucker makes up shit as he goes along, and it took a public health crisis to make this painfully obvious for all of us.

Donald Trump is fixin' to get his ass kicked. Karma, motherfucker.

4. outofplace

I don't think she was the only pick at all. Rice would have worked. I understand why it wasn't Duckworth, but I think she would have made a great choice, too.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Hopefully expectations for the VP debate will be tamped down a bit. I agree, Harris will mop the floor with Pence.

But damn. With this initial reaction, if Pence doesn’t run off the stage in tears and resign, many will call him the winner. Same shit with Trump, who got destroyed by Clinton.

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agree 100 percent she is more valuable to the ticket to woo female voters more than black voters. I think black voters were largely going to side with Biden anyway, based on polling.

The law and order issue is a thorny one no matter who is talking. Frankly, having Harris on the ticket allows Biden to approach police reform a little (A LITTLE) more slowly, which is valuable when challenging an incumbent. We all know it needs to happen. Heading into a presidential election, a platform of drastic criminal policy change is a difficult balancing act. I think she helps reassure the "law and order" crowd while simultaneously giving people of color some hope of representation in the process.

All of that said, I don't think Americans realize how much of criminal law is locally legislated, which is probably largely a good thing. Kamala Harris isn't going to put an to end driving while black during a 4-year-term as VP. I do hope she can advocate for and enact good policy that will reduce (I'd say eliminate, but I'm not Pollyanna) systemic racism, particularly within the Justice Department.

8. outofplace

It is clear to see that is a big part of the Trump campaign strategy, claiming that extreme liberals are in control on the other side and that Biden and Harris are going to tear apart police departments and take away everybody's guns.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The test is whether people will follow the facts or just some shill.

Sen. Harris actually was an elected DA who restored prestige to a derelict DA office then was an effective AG. She NEVER did anything to tear down any police force.

What has fatf*ck ever done? Nothing.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  10. outofplace

He has gotten a lot of people to swallow a lot of bullshit, then they were stupid enough to ask for seconds. I guess that is a skill.

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You know what, I’ve been voting against my pocketbook my whole life. If the voters somehow decide to back Mr. More tax breaks for the corps and top 1%, then I’m not going to feel sorry for the poor anymore.

lakefront likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Schiff would not be a capable AG. My goodness. It'd be like making James Comey AG. Schiff wakes up on a vanity trip.

Warren is AG? I'd take that. Because she'd get in there and zero right in on what she thought actually mattered, which wouldn't be any of the bullshit with Trump. She's smart enough to know that's a bunch of window dressing that solves nothing for the people in this country who need help.

Once Trump leaves, a single minute spent pursuing that man for anything just turns him into a martyr. Let him turn himself into Howard Hughes or, worse, a political Willy Loman, working every GOP rubber chicken circuit around while Biff and Hap circle round him.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.