1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I went to our local USL League One team's match the other night ... About 800 people were in attendance, 1,000 was the max (including players, club personnel, security, vendors, etc.). Capacity is normally around 8,000. I thought it was fine. Masks were required and seating was spaced apart. My friends and I stood just behind the main supporters' section, at the top of the rail. Never felt unsafe.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

plus which

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Can we all stipulate that people are "free" to be morons?

Then can we get back to trying to stop people from acting like morons?

HanSenSE, Webster, maumann and 3 others like this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What's the worst-case here?

No CFB. Revenue collapses.

Lesser varsity sports return to club status, and rely on bake sales and car washes for funding.

Just as they did for most of the 20th century.

9. The Big Ragu

To be honest about the two revenue sports, football and basketball, the "student-athlete" thing has always been pure crap. Yes, there are players who value the scholarship. But many have little interest in academics, and are unqualified or unprepared to succeed academically at the undergrad level. They are there to play their sport, hoping they will be good enough to turn pro, and that requires keeping up the farce.

The only way to even consider them playing sports while the virus is still active, would be to keep the kids in a bubble. Putting aside that that can't really work for football, if they did that, it would expose the whole farce (even though people still wouldn't acknowledge it) for what it is, because sports would be taking a high priority over the academics.

If one good thing comes out of this, hopefully the "student-athlete" farce gets put to rest. Perhaps we could move to something where the sports teams are more loosely associated with the schools, and the athletes find a way to realize their actual worth.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That's a really broad brush to paint. Maybe that's true at the highest level of P5 (i.e., Ben Simmons), but there are a lot of smart kids at the lower levels of DI that know they have no chance at playing professional and value the education that they receive.

TigerVols and maumann like this.
  11. The Big Ragu

As I said, there are some kids there who value the scholarship. And use it to their advantage.

There are also a lot of players -- many of them the star players who carry those power teams and are carried along in a farce soley because they are great athletes who the teams want -- who are not even nominally academically qualified to be taking space in a college classroom (if they even show up).

For that type of kid, the mularkey that they are getting a valuable college scholarship as compensation is ridiculous. The scholarship is all but meaningless, especially to a high percentage of them who won't even walk away with a degree. What would be valuable to those kids is finding a way to use the leverage their athletic prowess should be affording them to realize their worth. And by that, I mean, realizing it in a way that is actually meaningful to them, which for most of them would mean cold, hard negotiated cash.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No reason those same kids can't be offered full scholarships under a different business model.

We need to reimagine college sports.

And we've needed to reimagine them for a very long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted