1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It was a tremendous tourney to watch, and the last 3 hours were so entertaining I'm going to watch them again this afternoon. Which I've never done before. #CovidBackgrounNoise

2. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

I’m OK with a par 4 that can be reached off the tee, but Harding Park’s 16th needs a little more balance in the area of risk vs. reward.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think that's extreme, and don't get me wrong I hate "GET IN THE HOLE!" guy too. But the vibe for me just wasn't there yesterday as a viewer. For a while it was a crazy shootout with a bunch of guys tied for the lead (I really thought my 4-to-1 bet on a playoff was sharp), but no roars around the course to shape it. Nobilo said "It's the shot of his life!" when Morikawa knocked it stiff on the short par-4, and the other talking heads chimed in, but that was it.

I've been watching all summer and I'll keep watching, but I'm on the other side as far as fan-less golf being good for TV.

maumann likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wow.
    That was hours of great golf yesterday, and not for one second did I think about the fans (except for hearing the mashed potatoes guys through the fence).

maumann likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Admittedly I wasn't stuck on the couch the whole time, I was cooking dinner and chasing kids and all. The roars are what pull you back in from another room, and I really missed that.

The golf itself was fantastic, no doubt.

maumann likes this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Also missing -- and rightfully so -- were the emotional celebrations. You expect a hug or a high-five. You get the approach, then they back off. Collin should have picked up his little girlfriend and swung her around while he hugged her. He wanted to, but couldn't. Sad but necessary caution.

maumann likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

When Byeong Hun An hit his hole in one, the playing partner made the starting motion to give him a high five, then just stopped. Sad.l

maumann likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Disagree, I thought 16 was perfect. It’s not like everyone was driving the green. Morikawa was the only one of the last 10 to do so. Finau took a 4 as did Day, DJ got a lucky 3 and Casey needed to work hard for his 3.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

And there was nothing to drown out Justin Thomas when he exclaimed "You've got to be f_cking kidding me!" after missing on a putt. It happened Sunday.

maumann likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think the ideal of the drivable par-4 is that if you miss, you have hard work ahead for par, and a 6 is not out of the question. Now, Morikawa's shot would've been perfect if there had been three times as much danger around that green, but I tend to agree that on this course, the 16th was not quite dangerous enough.

expendable and maumann like this.
  11. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That was a hoot!

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

There's a large stand of big cypress trees there on the right, and I'm guessing the PGA thought that Sunday pin would be more difficult than it turned out to be, especially if you short-sided yourself in the front bunker. But the better players could either hit cuts, fades or just went right over them. Still, that was one hell of a shot under those circumstances.

The PGA is still the "fairest" of the four majors. They don't overly trick up the course or have 120 pot bunkers in the fairways. No gimmicks, just golf. (Hey, I should submit that as a slogan instead of "whatever we're going with this year.")

And glad to see it on the west coast instead of the five-course rotation they've been stuck in for the past decade or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted