1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, yes. It was Dale Earnhardt's hometown, correct? (Earnhardt claimed Doolie IIRC, but most outlets listed Kannapolis.)

expendable and maumann like this.
  2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Been nearly 20 years, but just a great steakhouse. Wouldn't think so from the outside, but it's reputation is well earned

maumann likes this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The highlight of today was Mickelson in the booth. In 57+ yrs of watching almost every sporting event imaginable, that was the best guest spot in the booth ever. And I’m a Tiger fan. Phil was just so insightful yet humble. His rooting for guys was cool. He also had great comments when Nantz said things like that guy just hit it 340, Phil’s comment “nice for him.” GOLD jerry!! I just hope Phil does it Agaim and soon.

maumann likes this.
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

He added stuff you just don’t hear and think about
    One guy (I think it was Li) hit a bad chip and Phil said: “No. See the grass there, how it’s a darker color than the other grass. You wouldn’t think it would make a difference but it does.”
    And his enthusiasm was great

maumann likes this.
  5. Jake from State Farm

That’s why we miss the late, great Ernie Harwell
    “Foul ball. Caught by a young man from St. Clair Shores.”

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

As a kid, I was certain he knew everybody in the stadium!

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

"And a happy 48th anniversary to Roger and Wilma Hoskinson from Quincy. 48 years. Boy Steve......I couldn't even imagine. 48 years."
    "How do you think she feels Harry?"

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I loved Skip Caray doing the Goody’s Home Run Jackpot: “Glenn Hubbard comes to the plate, and he’s batting for Emily Wagonwheel, who lives in a post office box in Toccoa, Georgia.”

9. Jake from State Farm

Uecker and Merle Harmon used to do Johnsonville ads on the Brewers network
    Packing for a road trip, Uecker:
    “Watch it, Merle. You’ll get mustard all over my autographed picture of HARRY CARAY and Jimmy Piersall.”

Chef2 and maumann like this.
  10. Jake from State Farm

My favorite Skip Caray came from a Hawks game
    “Johnson fires an 18-footer. Goes 16.”

BTExpress, Michael_ Gee and da man like this.
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

SVP needs to shut the f up about college football. There, i said it.

And little girl in the commercial, your mommy doesnt have super powers. She peddles mutual funds and hidden fees for AIG.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Preach!

Also, regarding the Enterprise Rental Car ad that runs (repeatedly) right afterwards, I wonder how many people see the business customers walking through the lot in their masks and hear the v/o that goes "road warriors, we've got your back. We know you want to go your speed..." and think to themselves, "nah, that's OK, I'm happy staying home and holding Zoom meetings and having dinner with my loved ones instead of hassling with airline travel and shuttle busses and shitty hotel rooms and expense reports so I think I'll just sit out the 'return to business as usual.' "

Donny in his element and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted