1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is something a nearly lifelong friend of mine sent to me regarding the wearing of masks and the reported (by The Guardian) ineffectiveness of them against COVID-19, apparently primarily because of the size of the virus droplets. I thought I'd just post it here and see what others thought.

Because it's hard to know what to believe or think anymore. My friend is seriously considering retiring from a very lucrative job because it requires that masks be worn at the work site. I've said I'm not sure I'd go that far and do that. But my friend can afford it, so that will make the decision easier, especially based on her beliefs about the issue. I've disagreed up to this point, believing that masks are helpful, even the key, to stopping the COVID-19 virus, and I was urged to read the article linked below.

But who really knows? That's what's getting to be the problem with this. Things are eventually going to go back to normal just as a matter of course unless we get some real, definitive answers. It's just a matter of time, because people, and even businesses, are going to get sick of the mask-wearing.

WHO Admits: No Direct Evidence Masks Prevent Viral Infection

2. WriteThinking

This is the real question. And I think a lot of people are becoming more and more uncertain of the answer. That's the problem.

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

While it may be true that the teeny tiny particles are not stopped by masks, I think we've all watched enough videos that show how masks stop many droplets that you expel.

I think that one video that really creeped me out, I think it was from Korea, it showed a guy at a buffet. He sneezed into his hand. Then he went to the buffet. They had treated his hands with some sort of glow in the dark substance. He went up and got his food. He's sat down and after 10 minutes they turned on the black lights, and the substance from his hands was all over the room.

Are masks 100% effective, probably not. But the idea is to reduce and contain. And if something is simple is wearing a cloth mask can reduce 70 or 80% of the moisture coming out of your mouth, why would you not do that? What has happened to the sense of a civic responsibility in this country? We have rights but everyone around us have rights and our rights end when they impact other people. That's why you can't smoke in buildings anymore. It's really that simple. Wearing a mask makes the people around you safer, and if they wear theirs, you're safer. At this point, even if it's not 100% effective, I don't see how anyone can question that it has been effective.

And frankly these people that think they have it all figured out and that the mask isn't helping and it's not doing anything, they're idiotic,e they're selfish, and they have no sense of community or what it takes to make a society function.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And welcome Harley Covidson fans to our state!

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well put. I don't think people who have really kept themselves informed realize that mask, especially the cloth ones, are not 100 percent perfect protection from getting or spreading the virus. They reduce the risk of both. We should still be doing other things, such as social distancing when possible, washing our hands and not touching our faces, including not touching the masks. The report is worth noting, especially for the fools who think everyone should just put on a mask and go back to stuffing 30 children in a classroom for 45 minutes every day, but it shouldn't be discouraging anybody from doing all that they can to stop the spread and that includes wearing masks.

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  6. WriteThinking

Well, I kind of agree with you there, and that's what I've argued with my friend about it. And I think a lot of other people agree, in principle, with you, too. That's why we've had as many people as we've had who have followed the mask-wearing edicts, and who, so far, are willing to do so. But I also can see how, eventually, people won't be willing, particularly if we don't get any definite change/results, or any definitive new information.

An example of this from both a personal and business standpoint: Walmart has been closing its stores at 8:30 p.m. since nearly the start of the pandemic, the better to have less people in, for less time, and for the stores to use night-time hours for better stocking and improved cleaning efforts. The public has adjusted to this change, pretty much, even though we do have to chase people out every night. And store employees? Well, we've loved the change, for a number of reasons.

Well, starting Monday, the stores have will again be staying open until at least 10 p.m. So, what has really changed? Nothing. But Walmart wants to makes its money and won't follow even a self-imposed mandate that isn't making a definitive difference forever.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The place to stop reading that is at the point where you see the word “Mercola.”

Joe Mercola is a known quack and verified anti-vaxxer and HIV denier who has been sanctioned repeatedly by the FDA for making unsubstantiated claims, including a $5.3M whopper in 2016 regarding the health and safety claims he made about his tanning beds. He’s one of the idiots who claims that inhaling hydrogen peroxide through a nebulizer will prevent and/or cure COVID-19.

Start by assuming that everything on his website is probably wrong.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Just talked with the Trumpers next door.

They say masks don’t work because the virus is still here. Proof!

They have three school-age kids. Sending them back to school. Camp this coming week too, before school starts.

They also have work done to their property and house without pulling permits or up to code.

I live in a communist cesspool.

SFIND likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Frankly, if everybody had a constant electron microscope-view of the world they inhabit, they'd just stay under the covers all day. After sterilizing them.

Our state instituted a mask mandate June 24. And people absolutely ARE wearing them. We're still in Phase 2. No bars. No gyms.

On July 30 it recorded its third-highest number of cases.

You'd be crazy not to wonder at some point why this isn't working as well as many --- myself included --- had hoped.

10. outofplace

This is something the anti-teacher crowd needs to understand. (To be clear, I take full responsibility for the consequences of reading and posting at the other place and exposing myself to some of the idiots there.) They seem to think teachers, specifically their unions, are the ones making these decisions. There are teachers' unions in some places with a lot of power, but this idea that they are the ones making the decisions everywhere is hilariously wrong.

OscarMadison and Spartan Squad like this.
  11. outofplace

By the way, giving this post one like doesn't feel like enough.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted