1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Postscript: The Night The Lights Went Down in Georgia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Aug 6, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

You no longer have a criminal element on SJ.com.

I called the Department of Community Supervision this morning (mainly because I haven't heard anything from them this week) and was told my probation expired on August 1.

I then called the probation officer currently in charge of my case and she will go before the judge tomorrow morning with the paperwork that will officially expunge my criminal record and allow me to regain my constitutional rights. I may actually get to step in a polling place and cast a ballot against the DA!

Even up until the moment when the officer said "you're good," I was certain there was a snag somewhere as to why I hadn't heard anything, since my appearance before the judge was Aug. 2, 2016 and my jail sentence started Aug. 5. Did I miss community service? Did the fines get paid in full? Did the crazy nuts up the street ask the judge to postpone my release without my knowledge?

The paranoia will always be a side effect of this, because as I mentioned in those long posts, you're always in fear that things can get worse. For the rest of my life, blue lights in the rearview mirror will be a very bad thing, even if it's just an expired tag or DUI checkpoint.

The felony arrest will still show on a background check (and law enforcement can see the First Offender info), but I finally can get this behind me.

Only 10 more years of waiting until I can visit Canada and Europe post-COVID 19, thanks to our wonderful Department of Homeland Security. (Although I can apparently goose the process with a letter of apology to the province of my choice and a cash donation after five years.)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If you have to re-register to vote, do so quickly, and get confirmation .... Brian Kemp and all.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Great news! Keep on top of it because government. You've got to be stoked to get the metaphorical weight off.

maumann likes this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Kinda liked when the criminal element hung out here.

Oh, well, best wishes in your new, reformed life.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Oh, I expect that there still might be a scofflaw or two around here.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's a very good point.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Once a thug, always a thug. (Somebody said that on a TV show the other night.)

maumann likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

You've got to be so excited you could run out and hit somebody! :D

maumann likes this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Go out and buy a bag of weed and knock over a liquor store to celebrate.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There's an offensive neighbor, and we'd appreciate it if you could go over and try to calm her down.

maumann likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obviously not around here.
    Congratulation, Maumann. Welcome back to the free world.

maumann likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you are free. All you have to do now is avoid the rakes.

Donny in his element and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted