1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pete Hamill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And if he annoys you enough to make the effort, you can go to Google Images and search "troll bridge" and there are hundreds of handy pictures you can copy/paste.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

For those who are interested, the documentary “Deadline Artists” on HBO is superb.

Hamill books “A Drinking Life,” “News is a Verb,” and “Tabloid City” are great.

britwrit likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Quote Of The Day: Pete Hamill On Donald Trump

While I do think it's better that more voices are being heard, those days when cities had a "Voice" - Royko in Chicago, Breslin, Hamill - someone able to sort the wheat from the chaff - had their advantages.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Jerry-atric likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I remember reading the story about what Breslin thought about Trump. There was a quote from Hamill in it, recounting a conversation he had with Breslin from his retirement home, and I just loved it. I just found the exact line from Hamill:

Watching Trump in the White House left Breslin “a bit sour with what’s going on in our country. Mainly because (Trump was) the kind of guy that in my neighborhood in Brooklyn and (Breslin’s) in Queens we despised
    . The bullshit tough guy. The guy is all mouth and couldn’t fight his way out of an empty lot.”

matt_garth likes this.
  6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

There are certain writers who you just couldn’t wait to tear open the paper for their take. Hamill and Breslin were that for NYC. Those days are gone due to the rise of instant and free opinion, which isn’t a bad thing, but you have to wade through a lot of bullshit to get to a trusted voice.

Draft saved Draft deleted