1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Indulgence?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Baseball books. I have close to 200 of them. I do not not want to know how much money I've spent on all of them. One thing is for sure, the most expensive one I bought was around $120 at the time, not including shipping. Well worth it, though.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Cycling Writer, one of my dreams was to build Shea Stadium, and I think I could do it with the right time (never an easy thing).

Were I ever stupendously wealthy I would just have a Lego room, because there's a lot of stuff over the years I've wanted to build.

Lego is just good brain food - and I can't think of a children's toy with more range.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Caps - Steelers, Pirates, Penguins, Patagonia, Simms, Kavu, various other outdoor brands. Last time I did a count, I had close to 50.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Large indulgence: my Alfa Romeo.
    Lifetime indulgence: like @qtlaw and @Moderator1 I too am a habitual shoe buyer. In fact, just today I bought my first pair since Covid.
    My daddy was a shoe company executive so it’s in the blood.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Glad you listed the Caps first, I have a lot of their caps, too.
    Not so sure about the Penguins, though

OscarMadison, garrow and Driftwood like this.
  6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Books and art.

We have way more books that we do space for books. Some are getting stacked sideways on top of rows of standing books. And I have one more expected in the mail tomorrow.

And we have three artists whose work we like, and lots of it is in our price range. I bought three paintings by one of those artists last week, and they're all just leaning up against the bookcase or the fireplace in the living room, because -- as with books -- we don't have anymore wall space. (But these three were really within our price range, so it would have been foolish to pass them up....right?)

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I have purchased 15 Columbia PFG fishing shirts over the past year. Anytime I can snag one off Amazon for around $25, I jump on it.

Driftwood likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Souvenir cups from ball parks. My wife constantly gives me shit, but I find a way to bring one home every time I get to a park.

Chef2 likes this.
  9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Vinyl records. Went out to a store today and got two. Have one I pre-ordered arriving Friday. Have at least five more that are on the way or shipping in the next month or so.

I could see myself becoming a sneakerhead in the near future. My oldest got into it and I didn't really get it. I've always been more of a Vans/surf shoe guy. Then I got a pair of KD13s, and holy shit - these are the most comfortable things I've ever worn. There's a pretty cool pair of PG4s dropping Saturday morning. We'll see...

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I spend about $15 a week on home brewed black coffee.

I play Clash Royale and Brawl Stars way too much. I don’t spend money on them. I just give them my time.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is a good, fun thread -- all interesting to see and read about.

Me, I don't spend a penny on coffee, and can never fathom how people spend good money on it every day. The ubiquity and success of Starbucks has always blown my mind.

I wouldn't spend much on shoes, either, if I didn't need them. As it is, I have foot issues -- mostly with my right one -- that makes buying shoes difficult. My feet are short and wide, with very high arches. I underwent orthopedic surgery on both feet as a child to correct a ligament problem in my left foot, as well to correct a severely pigeon-toed walk. My dad always thought my feet stopped growing as a result of that operation. It seems plausible, as my feet are equivalent to those of a lot of nine-year-olds'. In any case, I hate shoe-shopping, because it's so difficult to find even one pair that works, particularly for any length of time. I've spent hundreds of dollars at a time on shoe-shopping expeditions over the years, on many different kinds, and many different brands, and in many different places, only to end up relying on one pair that I wear until they wear out completely. Usually, they're Brooks or New Balance athletic shoes -- Size 7, double-wide, at least, depending on the style/shoe, even though my actual feet are more of a Size 5-and-a-half length, just because I need the incrementally greater width that comes with each size up, particularly for my right foot, which is, relatively speaking, considerably bigger and more problematic than the left one. I always try the right shoe on first, because that's the one that has to be fitted/dealt with.

In lieu of coffee or shoes, my big indulgence is in jackets, coats and vests. The funny thing is, I live in a place where such things are hardly ever needed, and I end up barely ever wearing/using them. My church held a coat drive for the needy last year, and I donated 12 -- yes, 12 of them -- to the effort, most of them virtually brand new, and a couple with the tags still on them.

It's amazing to me, and to everyone who sees it, how I'm invariably, uncannily and inexorably drawn to jacket and coat racks when I'm out shopping. I always say I need to move to Idaho, Montana or Wyoming -- someplace like that -- in order for my indulgence not to be a colossal waste of money. It's virtually the only spending I do that's truly wasteful, at least in my case.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If you’re going to go Nike sign up to be a Nike plus member, it’s free but you get:

free shipping or two day shipping for $5;
    Access to new drops BEFORE public SOMETIMES; and
    60 day returns even if WORN.

Awesome.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted