1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is Loyola Marymount-UNLV circa 1990 going on here.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm guessing some (all?) books are freaking the F out with these numbers. Houston-Dallas hit a mind-boggling 160 for the first half. It's the damn All-Star Game. Dallas alone scored 85.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Neither of these teams has anything to really play for, I suppose. That gives it the ASG vibe.

Last night, there was a sense of playing for something, whether standings or establishing dominance for later. I expect the Lakers off the throttle now after winning last night. That’ll lead to more scoring.

Memphis-Portland had quite a bit at stake as well but no one played defense there as well.

I wonder if there is just a quiet agreement in the NBA to let everyone get back into game shape by the pace.

4. exmediahack

Morning lines are out. Books are going a touch high.

Heat-Nuggets 1Q between 54.5 to 56 where I shop. I’ll jump the 54.5 over.

like Doosan overs of May, gotta ride these until we get thrown.

Spotted some WNBA line splits for tonight. DK has Seattle -186 ML but my local book has LA +210. I’ll put that $12 in my pocket.

Dumb ego thing. I really enjoy putting $200 into action at this local book and, five minutes later, seeing the WNBA line jump in my direction.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Glad I jumped on the Pulisic first goal at +575 at the last minute.

MileHigh and exmediahack like this.
  6. exmediahack

Also, last week of Serie A. Look at some overs today for teams with nothing to play for.

7. exmediahack

Nuggets give zero Fs today.

54. Needed 54.5. Missed a FT with 0.7.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  8. Webster

Value alert — Man United is up 5-0 in their Europa League tie going into the second leg on Wednesday against a completely unmotivated team. The DK first goal bets are skewed like the United starters will play and they won’t even be on the bench. An hour before the match, see who the starters are on Twitter and play them for first goal. Juan Mata will almost definitely start and take any PKs and is +1000 for first goal. Other backup forwards who will probably start have similar odds.

exmediahack likes this.
  9. exmediahack

Live betting fun. A $5 free bet I had on DK on Spurs +1300 a half-hour ago is working out well.

What didn't work out well last night. Wild-Canucks. It's 1-0 Minnesota early in the second period. I see the "correct final score" at 2-0 Minnesota at +3700. I put $2 on it.

Damn empty-net goal.

William Hill has a fun promo tonight. Dodgers-Padres. Pick one team to win, minimum $50. IF that team wins, you'll get $1 for every single, $2 for every double, $3 for every triple and $5 for every home run.

I took the Padres. Three hits. Three homers.

Hedged the Dodgers $78 to win $58. I'll make a small profit either way but this is a fun way to make a few shekels.

Webster likes this.
  10. Webster

DK odds boost from -355 to even on Tiger making the cut. The bad back in cooler weather than what he has been used to in Florida definitely is a negative, but value is too good not to bang it for the $50 max.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was actually looking at him to miss the cut, which is +155. So there's room for a straddle. I like how DK puts up a big list of guys to make/miss cut, with healthy plus-money on a lot of the misses (suck it, Bryson).

12. exmediahack

One of my local books has Woods +230 to miss the cut so that’s my hedge vs DK +100 to make it.

Not sure if it’s still out there. Max Homa to make the cut. DK has his -155 YES. WH has +190 NO. If you have those books, take your profit.

Draft saved Draft deleted