1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I just looked at the beach cam for Folly Beach. It's passed, the sun in shining, and people are turning back out. The beach looks like crap, but it's all over.
    There is something about my area that the dang things always seen to hit when it's dark.

maumann likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nobody messes with Pedro. He’d hit ‘em with a billboard.

Jake from State Farm and maumann like this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

South_of_the_Border_sign_23_-_Pedros_Weather_Report_Chilli_Today_Hot_Tamale.JPG

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If you've never been to South of the Border, you just don't know.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    maumann likes this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The whole time we lived in North Carolina, I was waiting for that huge blast wave coming up from Dillon because I was certain some Yankee would walk into the South of the Border fireworks store with a lit cigarette. Don't look now, but Pedro's flying overhead!

Driftwood, 2muchcoffeeman and Batman like this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

TWC just showed Jim Cantore, who is in Wrightsville Beach, standing in the midst of the storm, feet apart, barely able to look at the camera.

This shot, IMO, is just not necessary anymore. Putting someone out in the middle of it accomplishes exactly what?

Back on topic ... life in the Carolinas, folks ...

maumann likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Up here in Fairfax County, Va., and just went out to nab some breakfast to bring back to the hotel. Raining pretty heavily, but not much wind. We had to postpone the second round of our Amateur championship because there's just no way we can get out and play today, and the U.S. Women's Amateur across the Potomac over at Woodmont did the same. I'm confident we both made the right decisions. Just means I'm stuck up here for an extra day, but I could probably use a distraction-free day to power through some work, so it's not such a bad thing.

maumann likes this.
  8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

He was in my town last summer. I checked out a couple of his shoots. They were basically fraudulent. I know he does stand in the storm, but I watched him, on a fairly calm pre-day, stand in front of a place where waves always break to get that shot of water action, when the water was otherwise calm. He also got a LOT of facts wrong about my town/area. So, did NO homework.

maumann likes this.
  9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

A friend with a beach house on Oak Island sent me some drone video of the island this morning. Looks like the houses held up well. Her house looks undamaged. Sand and property not attached to land, like cars, did some traveling.

maumann, Mngwa and Driftwood like this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

HOLY CRAP! I was just joking and apparently the huge explosion in Beirut today (you have to see the video to believe it) was a fireworks storage facility that caught fire. Jesus H. Christ!

Driftwood likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That happened just down the interstate from me last year.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

There's no Goddamned way what exploded in Beirut were fireworks.

Draft saved Draft deleted