1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Ouch!

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm getting used to hockey on my TV on the afternoon of Aug. 3.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The weekday daytime NHL and NBA is great. And no deadline pressure.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Call 61, I got through. But I had a 50-minute wait listening to the worst elevator music.

Then I was told that due to the identity theft I need to file the weekly claim in person. Average wait time from the end of the line to the door is currently at 3-plus hours.

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The cruelty is the point.

OscarMadison and TigerVols like this.
  7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

These systems are not equipped to handle the amount of applications. Add to that the fact that their workforce are remote and it is really bad. Sprinkle on that the “dignity of work” crowd who think it is fun to make it as hard as possible to get benefits.

I have a former coworker who is very involved in these policy decisions. When I texted her about the lack of enhanced UI, she said that there are 15 million jobs out there and people are too lazy to find them.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's like the Olympics overseas -- daytime sports are great.

9. Inky_Wretch

There are a shit ton of jobs here ... for $10 an hour. Big pay cut from my old gig.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Or they feel like the amount of risk to their health during a pandemic is worth more than $10/hr.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. And temp jobs. I got offered one with the state to be on their COVID communications team. Nine months max. No benefits. And the pay is laughable.

12. Inky_Wretch

Since I've become an expert jobs board searcher over the past few months, I really question how people arrive at the X number of jobs available figure. I've seen locals throw that around here too. But then I get in there and search Indeed or Zip or Glassdoor for ANY job within 25 miles of the city and see the same trucking company posting the same ad for every little town. So does that count as 22 job openings are just one? Same thing goes for travel nurse positions. They'll post the opening on every zip code, so is it one opening or six in the city?

Draft saved Draft deleted