1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Sports layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Della9250, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Apparently a lot of their internet presence being let go -- lots of Twitter announcements happening.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hardball Talk is one.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Ugh. I feel for actual content providers. So many companies don't understand why the message still matters.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

HardballTalk went down the tubes sometime in the last half-decade. It was a good news site for a while with a good commenters base.

Calcaterra is a lawyer who decided at some point circa-2014 that he was a capable troll - he is not one.

Never mind the question whether an EIC ought to be trolling his own users. But Florio does it as well so NBC must like it.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Golf Channel had several layoffs earlier this year when a lot of the operation was relocated from Orlando to Stamford.

maumann likes this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

This news sucks--and it's pretty stupid even for today's media companies to get rid of their BLOGGGGGGGG networks as sports start back up again instead of when they stopped--but this is also 100,000% correct. He also decided around Election Night 2016 that he was suddenly an aggrieved journalist after spending the previous several years mocking beat writers and columnists for sucking at their jobs.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

BYH2:EB-

I did not know that about election night. What did he say?

Calcaterra would actively stoke the rancor over Chief Wahoo. Even when nothing else was going on. Sure, the clicks were good, but all of that is how we got here.

He will probably wind up at MLB.com or the network before the end of the year.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Looks like Hardball Talk is just going to be posting AP articles

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, I liked him a lot when he stuck to baseball, but like Pearlman he wants to comment on everything -- and he just wasn't that interesting or insightful. He just became a kind of shit-stirrer.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

He didn't say anything Election Night (that I'm aware of, anyway--unfollowed him a loooooong time ago) but after years of tweaking the baseball media and bellowing about its biases and poor reportage, he did a 180 upon Trump's "win" and suddenly began to not only defend the media but portray himself as one of us now that it was the de rigueur thing to do (and also because, you know, American democracy was being threatened by a despot trying to take down the news media). His bio reads, in part, "Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." Pipe down dude. You're an aggregator. I will say, though, he calls bullshit bullshit which is why I highly doubt he ends up at the dot com or the network.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Among the layoffs: Giants studio host Kelli Johnson.

Draft saved Draft deleted