1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 24, 2020.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I figured he was going to play his ass off during a 60-game walk year to earn another big contract. I wonder if any team will even bother with him next year.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Sorta seems like Cespedes was getting the idea he wasn’t going to end up playing enough to get the incentives in his restructured contract that came from the wild boar injury (such a Mets sentence right there).

Perhaps that’s not true. But it certainly doesn’t help him with a new contract next year. He’ll be 35 and his legs are never going to be the same after multiple surgeries.

Maybe someone will take a chance on him with another incentive-laden deal.

What he did for the Mets down the stretch in 2015 to get them into the playoffs was absolutely incredible. So fun to watch.

Also, no matter the reason, I’ll never blame a player for opting out. It’s possible Céspedes was having doubts/concerns. That’s normal.

The lack of a phone call to tell the team was a mistake.

Baron Scicluna and maumann like this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

MLB definitely has extra incentive to keep going. The Yankees look like world beaters.

maumann likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It won't end because of that. Too many hungry prospects lined up to Wally Pipp these guys.

maumann likes this.
  5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Seven or eight games or whatever they've played (most of which came against the Orioles and Red Sox) are not enough to declare them "world beaters" by any stretch. However, I was saying to my dad yesterday that I'm incredibly frustrated because I feel like the Yankees were on track for a World Series season this year but I don't think we're going to get a week or two more before they shut this thing down. I hope I am wrong.

maumann likes this.
  6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The American League standings look 'normal' - or as normal as they're going to be.

No different than April and May when you have a bunch of East Coast teams with fewer games played than their counterparts.

Where it becomes messy is on the National League side of the table.

I hope it continues, would like it not to become a farce - or more of one than it is anyway.

maumann likes this.
  7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

And the Mets not being able to find Cespedes is a sign to me of the universe trying to correct itself - I think it's a heartening thing.

DanielSimpsonDay and wicked like this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That 2015 Mets season was one of the more insanely fun seasons that I remember.

They went from having John Mayberry Jr. as the cleanup hitter, to the Wilmer Flores trade debacle, to blowing a two-run lead in the ninth against the Padres after a long rain delay to getting Kelly Johnson and Juan Uribe, which got them some actual lineup length, and then Céspedes, who finally gave them a big bat.

It’s unfortunate how this all ended for Céspedes. I don’t blame him for opting out, but at least make the phone call.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

10. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

If you build it, they still won’t come.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That’s the only goddam game I was looking forward to.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh Pirates are the beacon of class!

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted