1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

sure

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The problem is the Joe Sixpacks I've talked to who KNOW THEY KNOW what the answers are.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think a lot of that is natural pushback to the other side acting like the AIDS ribbon mob from Seinfeld.

"He's not wearing the ribbon!"
    "He's not wearing a mask!"

You'd get better traction if you'd take Col. Jessup's advice: "You gotta ask nicely."

What drives me nuts about these "XXX tested positive OR were exposed" is that they almost NEVER break down the two parts. How hard is it?

259 tested positive and another was exposed is a hell of a lot different than 1 tested positive and another 259 were exposed.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Yep, proving people didn't want to wear masks in 1918 really puts the nail in the coffin about a hypothetical discussion re: WWII.

Bravo, BTE.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Are some on this board advising Rand Paul?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It wasn't really meant as a "WWII-era" remark. It was a reference to an idea we perpetuate that some previous generation --- or many generations way back --- was less selfish, more willing to sacrifice for the greater good yada yada yada.

I mean, these were people who didn't want women to vote and would not let blacks marry whites. I hesitate to look to them for moral clarity on everything, Greatest Generation notwithstanding.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Or, or I'm pointing out that the things we're being asked to sacrifice are miniscule compared to what other Americans were asked to do. If deeply flawed Americans can do what was required to fight the war, why can't we do some comparatively simple things to stamp out this virus?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or maybe there was a major event in the nation that happened after 1918 - maybe a Great Depression - that caused them to change the nation's collective attitude about individualism?

SFIND and TowelWaver like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There's a reason that we called them The Greatest Generation. I suspect that the descriptive term for this one will be more like "The Most Selfish Generation".

OscarMadison, HanSenSE and SFIND like this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I just got a press release from the Texas Comptroller. Sales tax revenue in July was almost $3 billion, 4.3 percent • more • than July 2019.

I honestly don’t know if that’s good or bad.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Related to @Twirling Time's post. I'm working part-time in a local outdoors store. Normally, the store would be swamped on tax-free weekend with parents and college kids buying new backpacks from The North Face and Patagonia tee shirts and Chacos or running shoes.

It was a ghost town on Saturday. There were several large stretches where there were more employees than customers.

That said YoY sales are way up and people are spending stimulus money and their DisneyWorld money locally.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

For earlier months the numbers were ...

April, down 9.3% from 2019
    May, down 13.1% from 2019
    June, down 6.5% from 2019

Draft saved Draft deleted