1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Some of North Texas is open for business.

Mngwa likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I had to go to three big box stores today for varying reasons. Must have passed or waited in line behind a total of about 75 people. 74 wore masks. And I live in a MAGA county in a virus hot spot state where people bitched and moaned about masks. Yet, the percentage that I've seen, where I go, has been close to 100 percent. At some point, this helps drive down the numbers, doesn't it?

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Does the big box store in question require masks as a condition of entry? That's the key.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If nothing else, looks like the infection rate has plateaued in a number of areas and it's no longer rising geometrically. So yes, absolutely.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You’ll get no pushback from me re: Trump here. But one doesn’t have to play the counterfactual game too vigorously to imagine a worse reaction had he acted in a similar manner with respect to “the test.”

Let’s suppose he had, and let’s further stipulate that as a result the US and Germany followed exactly the same Covid-19 trajectory. By now 35,000 in the US would be dead from the virus. What would the New Yorker cover look like?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So we've saved 115,000 lives and have a national testing structure in place? He's Man of the Year.

Of course we couldn't know any of that for certain because the only totals we'd have to measure against would be the models. As is the case now, and has him saying he's saved 2 million lives.

I'm just not convinced every imaginary scenario for a competent executive response in the US drags us back to some version of where we are now.

Is there a series of hypothetical moves that saves 100000 lives? Sure. Is there one that costs 100000 lives? Of course.

But it's August, and in reality not only do we have no national testing apparatus in place, but no national tracing structure, either. And no plan for one. And no plan for re-opening schools or businesses.

No national leadership on any of this in any way. In fact the national messaging is so garbled at this point it's creating more risk rather than less. Worse yet, it undercuts the very thing we need most right now, which is optimism, and some hope we can all get through this.

Is a half-assed patchwork of local responses the best we can do?

I don't think so, but here we are.

OscarMadison, TowelWaver and HanSenSE like this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted