1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Has she said she doesn't?

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Still kind of crazy that the GOP walked away from the expanded UI and there was zero leadership from the WH. It’s not like the crisis is even close to over.

I guess making sure that Trump gets $$ from twice playing golf at his club was more important.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9A871095-49E9-4528-951F-77CFE845B862.jpeg 50% of the country lives in the blue

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think Biden staying on script will be easier without crowds, fewer "Look folks....," digressions. He has to do Chris Wallace and sit downs with Stephanopoulous, Dickerson etc. And I think if you go back to that last debate he did with Bernie you'll see he did okay. He doesn't need to win over any voters, just needs to not lose any. though I'm surprised Jose Mesa or Fernando Rodney haven't been mentioned.

wicked and maumann like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Has there really ever been a Presidential election where the vice president has swayed a significant portion of the electorate? It seems a lot like the buildup to creating your March Madness bracket to me. A whole lot of worrying about something that has little bearing on the overall winner.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember ever sitting there with the ballot and thinking to myself, "Boy, I could vote for that guy because of his vice-president!"

Ferraro in 1984 might be the lone exception but she and Mondale carried ... Minnesota and DC. Does anyone actually look at the second name? I can't even list the losing VP candidates in many cases.

What bothers me more is a trend that Democrats are ignoring yet again. If you think about Democrats since 1960 who have gone on to win the Presidency: They've all been younger and charismatic. Kennedy, Carter, Clinton, Obama. The lone exception was Johnson, who not only had the sympathy vote but an unelectable opponent in Goldwater in 1964.

Democrats can't agree on anything, but a candidate who energizes both left and center, particularly Obama, has been a winning formula.

The one younger, charismatic candidate who lost? Gore in 2000, who should never have been in the position to need Florida in the first place. That's a political science 101 course on how not to run a campaign.

It seems every time the Democrats run a boring vanilla party-friendly candidate -- Humphrey, McGovern, Mondale, Dukakis, Kerry, Clinton -- they can't sway enough flyover state votes (yet alone energize their fractured base) to outnumber the Yellow Dog Dixiecrats who now bleed red. And here we are again.

However, the reason I feel Biden will win is similar to Johnson's win in 1964. He's facing Goldwater 2.0, except in this case, Goldwater won. Four more years of Trumpism will scare enough disenfranchised, unemployed and COVID-fearing voters to the polls in states he carried in 2016, particularly Florida. If Trump loses Florida, the Republicans can kiss things goodbye. And DeSantis has made such a mess of things, it may not even come down to a hanging chad.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If white supremacists are better than everybody, why do they all have shitty tats, drive shitty cars and live in shitty homes?

Driftwood and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As much as Franco was a leader for them, I’m still annoyed they traded Randy Myers for him.

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Jose Valverde

maumann likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mitch Williams.

BTExpress likes this.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think why this pick matters so much -- and maybe it doesn't -- is because there is near-consensus that Biden won't be running in four years and whoever his pick is will be the standard bearer. That wasn't the case in 2016, 2008, 2004, 2000, 1992, etc.

maumann and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I know, I know POLLS! and all but Biden doesn't even need Florida. The current polling has Biden with enough electoral votes (278) without Florida and Ohio and Arizona and North Carolina and Georgia. And he leads in all of those except for Georgia, where he is essentially tied.

Trump has to win all all five of those states AND then has to win any of those three crucial from last time -- Penn., Mich or Wisc. -- to win. At this point, it's his only path to re-election

maumann likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.