1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yep. Give us deaths per 100K and you've got something.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a chart of such, so . . .

What did they shut down that we considered "essential?" A 45% difference is a pretty big spread.

Germany's economy declined 10.1% in 2Q. Ours declined 9.5%. That ain't a 45% difference. Somebody in that country was doing business.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

UK 1 COVID death for every 1,442 people
    Italy 1 COVID death for every 1,717 people
    Spain 1 COVID death for every 1,652 people
    United States of Trump 1 COVID death for every 2,088 people

If our death rate equaled the UK we'd have 228,848 dead right now.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You've sold me: Let's stop all efforts to contain this and praise Trump for allowing us to suffer, but only a little bit.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

It doesn't mean our testing is plentiful enough we're detecting most (let alone all) cases right now and that we had more cases in March and April than we did in July but just didn't know because of previous testing limitations.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm asking this again. So what? President Trump has done plenty of unpopular things. That is actually part of his job, to make unpopular decisions for the good of the country. That it would have been unpopular does not justify his failure to take such action.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You’re right, but I don’t much care for the Monday morning quarterbacking from those quarters re: the oversight of the FDA.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There is plenty of evidence from the US states and around the world that aggressive actions to combat the virus are popular, not unpopular. Also should be noted that there's a lot more government-business cooperation in Germany than here.

OscarMadison and Azrael like this.
  10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

When compared to the other countries most affected by the pandemic, the U.S. has the fourth-highest COVID-19 mortality rate, with 46.48 deaths per 100,000 people in the population, according to a July 31 analysis by Johns Hopkins University.

https://www.foxtv.com/news/calculat...fficult-but-us-doesnt-have-lowest-experts-say

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What does it say about, e.g., Spain and Italy that: a) they don’t even make the “most affected” list but; b) they have more deaths per 100K than many on that list do?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Because the virus has been more suppressed in those countries, especially Italy, than here. Worth studying how two countries renowned for dysfunctional governance, Italy and Greece, did well in their reactions to the virus, Greece from the jump, Italy after a horrendous initial outbreak.

OscarMadison and tapintoamerica like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted