1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well, crap. RIP Wilford Brimley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It wasn’t until years later that I figured that, if the movie version would have gone further than Roy’s home run, that the Knights lost the World Series.

The scene where Pop and Red are shaving and Pop tells Red that he wanted to win a pennant more than anything, but he didn’t care about the Series, and would have been satisfied and bought a farm kinda tells what happened to the Knights afterward. Plus, they wouldn’t have had Roy for the Series since he hurt himself again, and after such a dramatic walk-off with the lights exploding, any World Series would have been anti-climatic. Heck, the Knights might have gotten swept and not even cared.

3_Octave_Fart and HanSenSE like this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

RIP.

"Well you're the best damn hitter I ever saw."

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

With Deidre Hall of soap opera fame. And a launching pad for Shaneen Doherty to become the bitch queen on the original "90210."

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Best scene in a movie that did a tremendous disservice to female reporters. Implied that every one of them were ready to jump into bed with a source ... Mafia, guys, FBI, whoever.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Yeah, "Absence of Malice" is a terrific film despite Sally Field's portrayal of one of them girl reporters.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

"You got 30 days."

Like a shiv in the dude's gut.

Only the great Wilford Brimley, sporting a walrus moustache in 1981, could have delivered that with such devastation.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I always think of him in The Firm.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Right after the film's release, Kurt Luedtke, the screenwriter for AoM, came to talk to one of my college classes. He said the studio sexed up the Megan Carter character to the point she implied she hopped into bed with most sources -- in the original screenplay she had an affair with Gallagher, but before she knew he was "connected."
    He also assured us that most city beat reporters did not live in Miami penthouse apartments or drive Porsches.
    He said while Brimley's character was supposed to be "salty and irascible," he ad-libbed a couple of his lines. The "Noah built himself an ark" line was supposed to be something about "filling the Everglades" but it got too unwieldy.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Sally Field looked as good from around 1977-82 as anybody did.

It's never been much marvel to me that Burt said she was the love of his life.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Feathered hairstyle very popular then. I always liked it.

[​IMG]

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted